[Steppes] Hi there!

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Thu Sep 8 09:27:21 PDT 2005

Hi,

Welcome to the area Justin.

I am Michael Kettering - Steppes Deputy Knight Marshal, among other
things. :)
I will attempt to address some areas of interest concerning fighter
practice and
sources of supply and possible assistance for you here.

Rebuilding your kit - there are a number of merchants within the
Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) area
that carry the major of raw materials (leather and hardware) needed to
make a heavy fighter kit.

The Leather Factory and Tandy Leather merged a few years ago, the web
site is below:

http://www.leatherfactory.com/

There are Tandy Leather stores in the area, with two stores on the east
side of Dallas.
One off of 635 (LBJ) in Mesquite and the other in Northwest HWY.

Another source for leather and the latest information that I have is for
a saddle shop
 in Royce City, Paul's Saddle Shop.  He is east of Rockwall on Highway
276 on the
 way Quinlan/Lake Tawakoni.  Prices might be better than Tandy.

We have conducted armor work shops at fighter practice, there are
several individuals who
do bring their tools out when they come to practice. Plus, several
people are set-up at their homes
with a armor shop. So, let us know your needs and I am sure that one of
us or several of us should
be able to assist you in rebuilding your kit.

Helms and other metal items:
Lady Colete, squire to Earl Duncan, has replied on this issue with one
supplier for helms.
Patrick Thaden can be found at http://www.thadenarmory.com/

Some other folks might have additional sources as well, will let them
address this.

Rattan:
The local supplier for rattan is Centurion Morgan Buchanan (Squire to
Sir Earl Duncan)
  - Central Region Knight Marshal. He is a regular at the fighter
practices on Sunday afternoons
from 2 PM until 6 PM. Some times the practice will go longer, it just
depends upon what and when everyone
wishes to stop, plus when the sun sets.

Shields:
The normal sources if you wish a wood shield - Home Depot, Lowes, etc...
If you prefer a metal shield, there are a couple of people who have a
local source(s), I believe or
they can point you a source on the web.

Types of shields and weapons being brought to practice by individuals:
Shields:
Heaters
War shields
Bucklers
Rounds
Rectangle Shields

Weapons:
Swords
Great Swords
Rattan Spear
Fiberglass Spears
Glaives
30 lb., Recurve Bow with combat fiberglass arrows

Sunday Fighter Practice:
Time: 2 PM to 6 PM
Address: 2320 Heads Lane , Carrollton, Tx
Map Links

Google maps here
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2320+Heads+Lane+,+Carrollton,+Tx&spn=0.021513,0.036937&hl=en>

Loaner Armor is available:
1. There are approximately 5 helms in various sizes,
       some are the Barony loaner helms and some are
       individuals' extras that are used to help people get on the field.
2.  There are elbow and knee pads.
3. Do not have "loaner cups", you will have supply your own.

Besides our normal fighter practices on Sunday, we also conduct a Joint
War Practice with
our sister Barony, Elfsea. We alternate between the two baronies every
other month.
This Joint War practice is held the first Sunday of every month, the
next one will be
October 2nd.

I would recommend bringing at least 1 gallon or more of water and
gatorade. I recommend 2 gallons of fluids
and snacks to replenish your energy levels if you are fighting. Plus,
various types of snacks -
 - cold pickles
 - oranges
 - energy bars
 - etc...
There are two water fountains in the park, plus there are several stores
close by that
carry these items and more.

After practice, a number of people will go to dinner at one of the local
area buffets,
the price is around $10 or so. Everyone is welcome to join.

So, if you get a chance or just missing that opportunity to swing some
rattan, come out,
get into some armor even it is loaner and have some fun.

Michael