[Steppes] Help requested in Baton Rouge for Animal Hospital, ASPCA

Morgan Cain (Ret.) morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 22:35:57 PDT 2005

Dez is really good people, and they have been doing a monumental effort to save and protect as many pets as possible.  If you know someone who can help - and right now they need TRAINED people, not just huggers and petters - please have them make contact as requested in this message.  Spread this message widely if you can, I know a lot of people have focused on getting the humans out and settled, but the animals need help too.

From: "Dez Crawford" <dezcrawford at hotmail.com>
Subject: Dez reporting in ...

Hi folks...

An appeal for help --

We are running on empty here in South Louisiana and Gulf Coast animal rescue
work and need volunteer help!

Veterinarians and vet techs are needed urgently at the Lamar-Dixon Center in
Gonzalez, Louisiana.  We also need vets and techs to relieve the staff at
the LSU Hurricane Animal Shelter. Animals arriving at Lamar Dixon -- those
most recently rescued --  need people experienced with rehydration and
re-feeding, also need rehydration supplies (fluids, etc) and refeeding
supplies (Science Diet a/d, etc.)  Contact Dr. Thistlewaite at LSU School of
Veterinary Medcine, 225-578-9900.

If you are an experienced animal rescue worker, shelter worker, shelter
volunteer, or an experienced amateur animal handler who is willing to scrub
cages and so forth, you are needed for animal care at Lamar-Dixon.  They are
desperate for help.  This is get-down-and-dirty work.  Call volunteer
coordinator Cathy Wells at 225-772-8609; 225-342-1126; or  225-755-1484.
Non-professional volunteers, please realize that this is VERY hard, dirty
work.  Not a situation to bring little kids to cuddle the kittens.  There
will be time for that later.  Right now we just need the animals washed,
clean cages, feeding and watering.

Please also contact any professional humane officers you know or your local
animal control agency and urge them to send at least one officer to help
with out efforts.  These people can contact the Louisiana Animal Control
Association at 225-772-3394.

Thanks for helping to get the word out!

OKC ... my oldest surviving sweater that I made myself is a ribbed poorboy
made from Red-Heart superwash in 1973.

Dez,

swimming in furry faces  in Baton Rouge

Come to the DFW Knit Out & Crochet Too on September 10th!
      http://home.earthlink.net/~mlhobbies/dfwknitoutandcrochettoo2005
Knitters and Crocheters can make things for the displaced/refugees:
   http://home.earthlink.net/~mlhobbies/dfwknitoutandcrochettoo2005/id1.html
"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent
 to the dark place where it leads."                    ---= Erica Jong
"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
                    ---= Lewis Carroll (1832 - 1898), Alice in Wonderland