[Steppes] Boy Scouts Demo on Saturday 10-01-2005

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon Oct 3 16:44:02 PDT 2005

Heilsa,

I answered the call fro someone to attend the Boy Scout Demo and travel
to the Boy Scout activity that they were holding this past weekend in
Farmers Branch on Saturday, called the CUBE. This year's theme was
Medieval.  This event held over both Saturday and Sunday. I arrived
around 11 AM and found out that I was the only one from the SCA to show
up there. Part of their activities was shooting target arrows.

I set up, get into full armor and placing my standard target upon a
portion of the field to the side and down further than their maximum
range of their water balloons were able to reach from their two
catapults which was powered by the scouts. I was shooting about the same
time that the water balloons were flying through the air. My bow is a 30
lb., recurve.

I passed out printed information and when I ran out - then hand written
information on the SCA. Answered questions and explained about SCA
combat, armor, combat arrows and the difference between them and regular
target arrows.

Overall, the scouts were delighted to see someone in armor, actual
shooting combat arrows, and willing to answer their questions. I shot
until my arm gave out - rough count 120 to 130 times over the course of
6 hours.

YIS,
 Lord Michael Kettering
  Combat Archer for the Condottieri