[Steppes] Newsletter Reports

Carolle M. Cox hpockets at verizon.net
Fri Dec 2 08:43:33 PST 2005

Notes and Other Important Stuff
Lyneya de Gray has offered her sister's home for the populace to meet and
celebrate birthdays in March 2006.  Please mark you calendars.

The Callig & Illum Meeting will be on December 13.  This is the SECOND
Tuesday.  The change is ONLY* for december.
The address is 1130 N Cottonwood Dr, Richardson, TX  75080
Thank You, HL Francesca
>From the Vicar and Vicaress
Greetings Unto the Noble Populace of the Steppes,
First of all, we would like to thank Their Majesties and Their Highnesses
for entrusting the barony into our hands until July. We want to assure
everyone that we are here for you. The health and growth of the Steppes are
our key goals. If you have concerns about anything involving the Steppes,
please, please contact us.
Thanks also to Their Highnesses and all of the people of the Steppes,
Elfsea, and other areas who joined our clan in the Battle of 3 Kings and/or
came to see us receive the position of Vicar and Vicaress.
3 Kings is similar to Gulf War in that points are given for archery, A&S,
equestrian, bardic, and service, as well as for heavy and light weapons.
Although we did not have the largest heavy force there, we had the largest
of all of the others forces. Our concept was to put our best foot forward in
all things that make Ansteorra great. We emerged victorious from 3 Kings,
winning 9 of the 11 possible war points and every category! The only
category where we shared points was in the heavy field where it is strategic
to ally and split points. So we ended up with 2 of the 4 possible heavy
points - the other clans getting one point each.
This is your victory! For, through unity, we are unstoppable. By expanding
our own interests and boundaries, by pushing our own limits, we grow strong
and we grow together. Miguel entered all of the competitions and Conal
entered several - even donning heavy armor. Many of our clan entered
multiple events as well. Think how amazing it would be if Ansteorra not only
fielded 200 fighters for Gulf War, but 200 archers, artists, bards,
equestrians, and fencers too!
Along these lines, we plan to participate in as many activities as we can in
the Steppes and in Ansteorra and we challenge each and every one of you (be
you new to the SCA or an old timer), to do the same. Join us in celebrating
all the skills and feats that have made Ansteorra great.
As for December activities, we plan on attending the Dragonsfire Tor Yule
revel on the 3rd and Conal will be at the Lindenwood Yule revel. We are
hosting the Steppes holiday party at our house on the 16th. We are also
hosting a brewing night to prepare for a party at Gulf War. Perhaps we could
couple the brewing with a sing-along where we can sing SCA songs and perhaps
some holiday favorites as well.
Speaking of the holidays, a number of you have asked Miguel about tickets
for the Sound of Music in which he is playing Captain Von Trapp. You can buy
tickets on the Richardson Community Theater website at
http://www.rctheatre.com/ or by calling 972-690-5029. However, group tickets
are available at a reduced price. So, we will post to the Steppes list as
soon as that information is available. Conal, is going opening night,
December 9th, for the 7:30 p.m. show, if you would like to join her.
In Service,
Duke Miguel and Duchess Conal
Vicar and Vicaress of the Steppes
 From the Minister of Children
Greetings unto the Populace of Steppes,

I wish to apologize for my lack of contact with all of you over the last two
months, and report that all went well with my surgery and I am recovering
nicely. Enough said on that subject.

Exciting things are coming up for the Youth of our Fair Kingdom. The Youth
Badge program has been accepted and you will now be able to receive
recognition for participation in events which you attend.

These badges will be non-armigerous, and will carry no rank or precedence
within the Kingdom, but will be a way for the Youth to show their expertise
in various areas of SCA life.

The minimum criteria to receive each badge will be as follows:

1)      The recipient must have attended a class, workshop or seminar held
at an official SCA event and given by a qualified person(s).

2)      The recipient must have completed a project or activity showing
his/her expertise in the field denoted by the badge.

3)      The recipient must be able to successfully pass a verbal or written
knowledge "test", given by a qualified person and geared to the recipient's
level of knowledge and age.  (These first three requirements may be met or
combined in many ways)

4)      The badge must be awarded by the Kingdom Minister of Children or
his/her designee (being an Officer of the Ministry of Children duly
warranted) in the Court of Ansteorra.

At this time there are quite a few badges which have already been listed,
but as long as a field can meet the above criteria, more badges can be added
to the list. The badge designs will remain constant through the Kingdom,
with the exception that the borders denoting the local group awarding the
badge may be added.

The badges will be on either white or gold felt bases to be worn on black
baldrics, and will be awarded with a scroll denoting what the activity the
badge is for.

The following badges have been currently designated with more to come in the
future we hope:

Costuming             Fiber Arts           Fighting, Chivalry
Serving
Heraldry                Water bearing      Herbalism
Archery
Bardic                    Cooking             Courtly Graces
Painting
Camping Skills      Metalworking    Sewing, Needlework      Nature
Dancing             Fighting 101              Rapier            SCA 101
                        (Fighting Etiquette                      (General
SCA Knowledge)
Drumming

 If you are an adult proficient in any of these categories and are willing
to teach a class, or you have a suggestion for additional badges, please
contact me either via email or phone.

To create a new badge category we have to be able to document the origins of
the activity.  For example, the Mask Making Class we are holding at 12th
Night will probably fall under a new badge for Historical Studies.

We will be starting monthly classes after 12th Night in order to work on the
badges, besides having classes at various events. For these classes, we will
be joining with the Youth of Elfsea, and the meetings will alternate between
the two Baronies on a monthly basis. We will announce each month's class in
the newsletters, and attempt to have at least a 3 or 4 month schedule
announced in advance so you can make plans to attend the classes you are
interested in.

The MoC stores are still in need of donations of leftover fabric, leather
scraps, ribbon, faux jewels, lace, feathers etc. for use in various
activities, as well as any books or articles on SCA related activities you
may wish to donate.

 I have a new phone number, feel free to contact me either by phone or email
with any suggestions or questions. 214) 642-2684 or at
little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com

Please notify either myself or the 12th Night Event Steward if you will be
participating in the Mask Class at 12th Night so we may plan accordingly.
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

I would like to wish everyone a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season and New
Year's.

See you at 12th Night.

Yours in Service to the Youth of Steppes, Ansteorra and to the Dream,

Lady Einin

Thought For The Day

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are
feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in
such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of
our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers."

***

Here ends the material submitted for the December SteppesLetter.