[Steppes] Latin word for:

xaraxene at comcast.net xaraxene at comcast.net
Wed Apr 19 12:04:00 PDT 2006

Greetings, Gentles......

My books are at home, but the word gens is what I remembered for the Ancient Latin term for the family unit similar to a clan.

Here is a link to a Wikipedia description of the clan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gens

And here is a link to the Gens Aquilla, the family unit of the Aquillas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gens_Aquillia

And here is a link to the Gens Fabia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gens_Fabia

When you have more than one gens (clan), they are called gentes. (which means "people" in modern Spanish).

The forms I see here have Gens (family name).
More info on Roman naming conventions:
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/ref/roman_naming_convention

Xene
From: Ironwyrm <ironwyrm at housearkham.com>