[Steppes] Business meeting minutes was Re: Fall Court

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at comcast.net
Thu Jun 8 12:37:22 PDT 2006

Xene here,

I'm not sure why it should fall to the Vicaress to post the minutes. I would
think that the Seneschal or a deputy seneschal-secretary would be the best
one to keep minutes of the meeting, especially because the seneschal has to
write a report once a month on the happenings in the group anyway. It's due
the 10th of each month. He/She might as well write one report and post it to
the list with a copy to the Vscribe and the Chronicler for posting. They
also have an End-of-Reign report due in June and December.

The Baron & Baroness / Vicar and Vicaress work as a team with the Seneschal
to award bids, but the busines communication within the Barony on the
day-to-day legals workings of the barony should fall to the Seneschal.
Autocrats are deputy seneschals and the bid is not completely official until
the autocrat's warrant is signed. This applies to off-calendar events as
well as on-calendar events.

Steppes is a barony in the midst of flux right now - Things are changing.
When new seneschal is named, but not yet warranted, and the old one is on
the way out, but still has the responsibility, is a time when things
sometimes fall through the cracks.

We also have a lot of new folks who have played SCA in other places.
It's wonderful that they are stepping up to volunteer and bring in new
blood, so let's not shoot them down before they start.

And, if you have a better idea, submit your own bid *in writing*. I had
thought to put in a bid for Fall Court, too, and may still do it. If not,
I'll help whomever is awarded the bid.

When the dust settles after Coronation, the leadership in this Barony will
have a better idea of what direction to take with the group and the upcoming
events. It's only a month away.

BTW, the new Seneschal's handbook is online at:
http://seneschal.ansteorra.org/forms/Seneschalhandbook2006.pdf

and Page 19 says:

Event bids and planning
Bids to steward an event should be solicited from the populace six months or
more
before an event. All bids should include a proposed budget, Event Steward,
and basic
event crew. If someone is stewarding an event for the first time, it's a
good idea to
assign them a mentor to answer questions and give advice. Remember that
Event
Stewards are Deputy Seneschals, so they must meet all the requirements for a
local
Seneschal.
<snip>
Once a bid is chosen, it's the Seneschal's job to monitor how things go and
to offer help
and suggestions as needed. Consider using ACCEPS to allow for prepayment of
site
and feast fees online.

Mistress Xene Theriane, OL OP
Seneschal to the Canton of Lindenwood