[Steppes] Telling someone that what they are doing is not period

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 18:27:52 PDT 2006

<<<<that ignorance combined with authority and insecurity is an unpleasant cocktail to be found on BOTH sides of the competition aisle.>>>>>>

  Amen to that.

  But with all things if you take on a role of dicision making, judging or otherwise making the "hard dicisions" then you have taken on a responsibility of knowing atleast something about what you are about to see OR willing to take the time to sit with the person and learn from the inspiring artist.

  As that person you are immune to what you have heard, or what you feel, you use what you know and if you do not know you ask probing questions and base that on surviving peices or solid evidance. Solid evidance to what the art form is and can do is a real good indication as to what it did back then.

  i have a period hand built crossbow based on a german design that puts period type bodkin quarrels through 3mm of plate steel at 100 yards - yet you will hear people SWEAR armor was never peirced by missile weapons. It went on to pierce 2.5mm plate, shatter 5 links in rivited mail, go through 13 layers of 7oz canvas and bury 3" into soft foam at 55yards - plate, mail, arming and into the body - a clear killing shot on an armored knight. Yet people will get down right upset when you challenge thier own knowledge base about knights being killed by bows or crossbows.

  You have to ask what is knowledge based on when someone tells you its not period, it didn't happen that way or its not right....

  Personally i have heard nightmare rumors of A&S competition - Suggestions are great - love em, but as with others i have spoken to, A&S scares me to death. I'd rather take up crossbow again and go shoot in competition if i had a choice based SOLELY on the bad experiances i have heard about for so many years.

  Ulrich

Michelle Dodd <lygabrielerdb at hotmail.com> wrote:
  I seem to remember being told that while it is ok to substitute materials for a reason, you must then document why you did so and what the period materials would have been, also how they would have been used, if different from your method.
Ly Gabriele