[Steppes] Costume links was Re: 12th night theme

alkudsi at aol.com alkudsi at aol.com
Thu Sep 21 06:52:57 PDT 2006

But not necessarily living peacefully together...there were some rough times in there, leading up to Salah al-Din's ousting of the Christians from the Holy Lands by 1197 (I think).  My persona peiod, actually.

I also have a pretty good collection of costume books, especially for ME garb, should anyone be interested.  Master Da'ud is not the ONLY ME persona besides Mahdi in the Barony!  I also have a good collection of books on the cultures from that time period, since my 12th Night, 10? years ago, had the theme of Convivencia (the period of time in southern Spain where also the three religions lived in harmony, off and on.

First Crusade would put it in the time frame of late 11th century to mid/late 12th century.  You would have seen Europeans in European dress (modified some for the climate which is warmer), Middle Eastern (from Tureg -- the tribes that wore mostly dark cobalt blue/black and where the men went veiled but not the women -- to late Parthian/Steppes dwellers (who traded in horses on the Black Sea and occasionally got to Jeruselem) -- to Byzantine), African tribal from along the Nile, some early Indian traders, and rarely an Oriental trader. Much past the 13th century costuming would be pushing the time frame, if you want to stick to it.

Saqra