[Steppes] Loaner garb sale

AlKudsi@aol.com AlKudsi at aol.com
Tue May 30 19:54:04 PDT 2006

In a message dated 5/30/2006 7:08:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
juliecunningham65 at yahoo.com writes:
The obvious choice for fabric is linen I believe, since the greatest drain on
our gold key is in the hot season (Warlord).  You can also layer garments
under the linen T-Tunic in the winter
Actually, I have found that cotton is better in some ways than linen.  Linen
is a pain to iron and keep from being all too period in a wrinkled mess.  I've
also found that layering cotton tunics of two lengths gives a lady a "lady"
feel, and having a shorter tunic that can be worn over sweats or plain pants is
less "girly" for the male newcomers.  And quite frankly, I find that there is
a better selection of colors in cotton and that it breathes somewhat better
for summer. But if you find a good buy on linen, and it isn't me that has to
iron the garb, you go, girl!

In keeping with this project, if there is some extra money left over to buy
yarn, I will volunteer to weave simple belts to go with the loaner garb.  Sugar
and Spice, a yarn that is all cotton, can be found at Hobby Lobby and
Walmart's at about $2 per ball and will make a pretty good washable belt. One skein
can do a good size belt (not as wide as most that I sell, but still usable).
I'll even make sure that they are marked in some way to indicate that they are
part of the loaner garb.  I had intended to offer a beginner's class in inkle
weaving through the Hospitaller's office for newcomers, since so many ask me
about it when I merchant, and this would be a good material and method to get
the belts woven!

HL Saqra