[Steppes] Alternate recruitment methods - MySpace, Google Maps

Elinor Salter elinorsalter at tx.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 20:01:30 PDT 2007

Last Populace I spoke with Lady Constance about the idea of a MySpace
page as a recruiting tool.  She agreed that it was a good idea and so I
created one as a test a few days ago.  If it is agreed that it is a good
idea, we can keep it going.

http://www.myspace.com/baronyofthesteppes

If you are not familiar with MySpace, the concept is that people can
create profiles to represent themselves and link to other profiles - of
everyone from their next door neighbors to bands and comedians.  You can
message each other, leave comments, link to others' music and videos,
and in general, socialize.

In no way can we anticipate high traffic from doing this, but the idea
is that this could be another way to reach the teenage to young adult
demographic.  It could also be a way to connect with other members of
the Barony or SCA.  If MySpace members in the Barony are willing to keep
the Barony in their top (always visible) friends, this profile would act
as free advertising to anyone viewing their profile.  I'm not
immediately aware of any other groups with member profiles, but there is
a group for SCA as a whole.

Pros - can add videos and pictures (now organizable into albums), free,
very low maintenance if we only wish to use it as a pointer back to the
website, can send bulletins to everyone who is a friend

Cons (so far) - the calendar is a PITA to use but we have other calendar
functionality anyways, some spaces on the profile (like gender and
dating status) are not removable using basic profile options but I may
be able to cut them from the HTML code with a little more study.

If you like it, please let me know and give me any input.  If I had a
better graphic (the black in the coat of arms does blend in a bit) it
might be better.  I was thinking of redoing the contact table with a
branch-style laurel wreath so it wouldn't duplicate.  We can use an
animated GIF for the avatar to add more info.  And of course, if you're
on MySpace and want to suggest a different profile song, go ahead - I
just used a band I know from Iowa that is half-Scadian (if you like
their music, talk to me about borrowing their CDs).

I also created a Steppes MySpace group as a test.  I'm not sure we would
need both.  The member profile has the calendar, but the group has a
forum.  If we feel the need for a forum, there are much better options
elsewhere and this list is existing and works very well.  If you want a
good idea of an active MySpace group, look at the SCA group -
http://groups.myspace.com/sca

http://groups.myspace.com/baronyofthesteppes

Another project I was playing with the other week, before I spoke with
Constance, was a personalized Google map of local activities.  We could
add this to websites or email to new people.  Being mindful of privacy,
I made an effort to make sure that activities at people's homes were not
linked to at this time - only public buildings, parks, and a couple of
local events as a test.  This list is also unlisted, meaning it will not
appear in Google searches.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&hl=en&msid=104279740878831891474.00000111ce459b0ac3232

So what do you think?  We could start an underground advertising
campaign - web presence and maybe some well-placed flyers.  Not sure if
it would work wonders, but it would always be better than nothing.  I
would definitely suggest library branches as a place to put flyers (with
permission).  I don't know many SCA members that have less than 10
shelves of books.

--
Ly. Elinor Salter
Exchequer, Barony of the Steppes, Ansteorra