[Steppes] Akon vs. Scottish festival

DonnelShaw at aol.com DonnelShaw at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 10:23:40 PDT 2007

In a message dated 4/16/2007 12:12:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
shark75080 at sbcglobal.net writes:

One  thing I want to add to the discussion... not that I've been around long
enough  or participated in enough demos to be a judge... BUT, I attended the
NTIF in  1998. When I was looking for something fun to do, other than sitting
around  staring at my computer playing online games, I remembered that demo and
the  SCA folks there and ventured out to my first contact with the Steppes
Archers!  That was in 2004. So, even though you don't think a demo generates new
people,  some may be really, really, slow, like me. Now, I also visited
websites, etc.,  before I was brave enough to come on out, but, I would imagine
that some folks  attend more than one of these events where we have a small but
dedicated  presence. Perhaps if we don't get them on the first demo, maybe on
the second  or third.

Regards,
Susanne

I would also like to add to this line of thought. My first exposure  to the
SCA was watching the SCA fighters circling a hill at Texas Ren Fair back  in
the 70's. I was in 3rd grade. They were fighting in the middle of the raised
field. I went back year after year when my parents took me to the fair and
visited the compound. It was a wonderful area. Of course I didn't realize at the
time it was the SCA and later I met someone who brought me to a meeting here
in  the Steppes area. The point is that the seed was planned years in advance.
Don't  discount the seeds you plant they may come to grow later down the years
as  Susanne has said.

HL Maili  Donnel MacGregor

Faith is believing what the eyes cannot see. ~~~~Michael  of Langley