[Steppes] My Introduction into the SCA

jack spinks jlspinks at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 17 06:59:03 PDT 2007

Ok.  Here is mine for what it is worth.

  As a kid I had always been fascinated with archery but never had the money to buy a bow.  Years passed and my kids were mostly grown and I had a good job and finally bought a 2nd hand Ben Pearson Javelina bow for $78 and then had a dozen arrows made at the same shop for almost as much.  I had renewed my interest in archery through Scouting but still knew little about shooting such a bow.  I was going to Eastfield range in Mesquite every Sunday morning and practicing for an hour or so.  One morning just as I was packing up to leave a bearded biker looking dude walked onto the field carrying an armload of long and recurve bows.  Yep- you guessed it- Ironwyrm.  After finding out they had a group practicing that afternoon I asked if I could shoot with them.   I got my gear back out and shot for a couple of hours that day and continued to shoot each following Sunday.   A month or two later I found out there was a tournament at something called Warlord (the year of the tornado)
 and the format was to be IKAC.  I looked up the rules which required wood arrows and membership in SCA.  I picked up the wood arrows at the shop the night before the competition and joined a few days prior.   I then proceeded to drive to Canton, shoot the tourney, came in 2nd to HL Fearghus of Elfsea (could not hit a thing at 40 yd with the new arrows) and drove home.   I found out about other aspects of the SCA at subsequent events.  Figured I might as well since I had joined up.  Gradually I participated in more events and some of the A&S.

  I had little interest in the medieval aspects of it but have become increasingly interested in following up on bits and pieces of history that I pick up through the society.  Learning other crafts from folks such as Nuala, Vincenzo, and Franceskca has also been a very satisfying part of my life (in spite of blood sacrifices to the needle gods). More importantly to me are the friends I have made through the group.  They have often been the only thing holding me together through some of the mundane ups and downs of my life.

  HL Jaque the Spink