[Steppes] Recruitment summary

Patrick Cuccurello pcuccurello at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 17 11:01:03 PDT 2007

>>When I first joined the SCA, I was basically sponsored by Master Mark, the>>scribe I met at a game convention in Toledo, OH. ……….His household basically adopted me and >>helped me feel welcome. That made all the difference.

In many ways, I believe that this small thing is the key to a successful organization.  Without that interpersonal involvement, and the feeling that someone is interested—most people will eventually walk away.

I became involved in the Society from running a BBS that was a main node for the old FIDOnet MEDIEVAL echo, amongst other echos.  I enjoyed the conversations and did what I could to further communications in the group using the BBS (this was before the World Wide Web) but never went to an event because I knew no one.  One individual tended to log on each night at around 1:00am and contribute to the echo, upload music and tablature files for guitar.  I went into chat mode and he invited me to an event that weekend.

When I arrived at the event, I looked him up and he directed me to the Hospitaler who gave me a really hideous orange plaid wool tabard with an  ancient, falling apart leather belt to wear.   After looking at me and smirking  (the only word that can really describe the look on his face) he showed me around, showed me where his camp was, and told me that since he invited me I was expected to come by for lunch and dinner.  That afternoon he introduced me to the List Mistress, Lady Ronna, who when I first laid eyes upon her, knew that she would be my wife.

Years later, I spoke with Ioseph about it and he told me that it was part of his responsibility as a member and a Peer to nurture new members.  He had spent his time, made his accolades, raised a family and a household, and now his job was to use those resources to help those who are new to the group.  It was the price for all those years of happiness..  I think that we tend to lose track of that sometimes.

--As the lead bird breaks the wind for those who fly off of its wings, and as he lead mare breaks the snows for the herd that follows her, so it is our job to ease the path for those who will follow in our steps.
                                                --from “The Writings on the Wind”

Petruccio