[Steppes] Alternate recruitment methods - MySpace, Google Maps

Sir Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 05:03:45 PDT 2007

Allow me to make a few comments on the nature of myspace, the internet, advertising, promotion and so on. First, I think the classification of myspace's banner ads as "soft core porn" is slightly hyperbolic.  Certainly the ads for some of the racier dating ads are sexually charged, but less so than a Victoria's Secret sign you'll see walking in the mall.  That doesn't make it GOOD, just "not really that bad."But what's more important to look at is the nature of the campaign.  A baronial space on myspace isn't being used as a destination to which to push people.  It's being used as a lure to push people to the official websites.  We wouldn't be seeking to get people to GO to our myspace, but rather if they find our myspace, getting them to go to the Steppes, Ansteorra or SCA websites for more details.   Yes, to some extent, when you use a vehicle as a method of advertising you are condoning that which is on the site.  And if myspace used egregiously inappropriate banner ads, I'd think we'd probably best look elsewhere.  I simply don't see that as the case, but that's just my opinion.  Myspace, Xanga, Livejournal...these venues are all growing rapidly with SCA presence.  I have blogs on all three, actually.  This type of networking is the future for personal social networking and business.  We'd be foolish to ignore that fact. Morganhttp://www.myspace.com/morganbuchananhttp://www.xanga.com/Morgan_Buchananhttp://morgan-buchanan.livejournal.com/