[Steppes] Twelfth Night --traditions from the start

shark shark75080 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 25 06:46:27 PDT 2007

Your Grace, thank you very much for helping me remember!

When I was in high school, I attended 12th Night with my boyfriend, he was very interested in the SCA - me not so much. My Mom had to drive us. This would have been late 70's. Anyway, I remember a procession and folks bringing really over-the-top food (a whole pig's head?) down the long isle to the head table. I don't remember what we ate, but I remember thinking FEAST and feeling like I was in another time and place. Lights were low, candles everywhere. I even remember some impromptu rapier fighting, though that could have been some Errol Flynn movie I had seen the day before (getting old here). Anyway, I've often wondered about all of that and whether I just remembered it wrong. My garb was a mix of 12th, 14th and 16th century, I now know from learning more about it in recent years, how embarrassing! We didn't know anyone so we sat in the very back corner. I think it was held at an Episcopal church in Dallas. I couldn't hear much and didn't realize there was a court going
 on, But I remember being stunned by the lights and the pageantry! It took me so many years to find my way back, but this may be why 12th Night is my favorite event.

We lived in Oak Cliff and you should have seen the neighbor's reaction when I would sit on his front porch and embroider, while he and his buddy practiced heavy fighting in his front yard. So long ago now...

Glad that some of what I remembered really happened!

Susanne