[Steppes] FYI: Service Animals

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 5 21:06:05 PDT 2007

>From Federal seminar notes seen on a mailing list...  May be of use to
event planners, site coordinators, those considering a service animal,
and for the rest of us to do some thinking about those who need / may
have future need of a service animal.

((apologies about the formatting, I'm tired and it is getting late. -
Mike / Kihe / Amra))

>     COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT SERVICE ANIMALS IN PLACES
> OF BUSINESS
>   U.S. Department of Justice
> Civil Rights Division
> Disability Rights Section   7/96   1. Q. What are the laws
> that apply to my business?   A. Under the Americans with
> Disabilities (ADA), privately owned businesses that serve the
> public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs,
> theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities, are
> prohibited from discriminating against individuals with
> disabilities. The ADA requires these businesses to allow
> people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto
> business premises in whatever areas customers are generally
> allowed.   2. Q. What is a service animal?   A. The ADA
> defines a service animal as ANY guide dog, signal dog, or
> other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an
> individual with a disability. If they meet this definition,
> animals are considered service animals under the ADA
> regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by
> a State or local government.   Service animals perform some
> of the functions and tasks that the individual with
>  a disability cannot perform for him or herself. "Seeing eye
> dogs" are one type of service animal, used by some
> individuals who are blind. This is the type of service animal
> most people are familiar with. But there are service animals
> that assist persons with other kinds of disabilities in their
> day-to-day activities. Some examples include:   * Alerting
> persons with hearing impairments to sounds.   * Pulling
> wheelchairs or carrying and picking up things for persons
> with mobility impairments.   * Assisting persons with
> mobility impairments with balance.   A service animal is NOT
> a pet.   3. Q. How can I tell if an animal is really a
> service animal and not just a pet?   A. Some, but not all,
> service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but
> not all, are licensed or certified and have identification
> papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service
> animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a
> service animal required because of a disability.
>  However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or
> theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or
> her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such
> documentation generally may not be required as a condition
> for providing service to an individual accompanied by a
> service animal. Although a number of states have programs to
> certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state
> certification before permitting the service animal to
> accompany the person with a disability.   4. Q. What must I
> do when an individual with a service animal comes to my
> business?   A. The service animal must be permitted to
> accompany the individual with a disability to all areas of
> the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. An
> [...]

Respectfully, Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri
al-Amra
 e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen