[Steppes] An informal poll and February Populace

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 10:31:26 PST 2007

>Pros:
>1. All of Warlord fits there.
>2. A large list field,
>3. Parking for over 600,
>4. Camping for over 400,
>5. An air-conditioned hall big enough for court,
>6. Nearby hotel rooms for over 200, that are normally empty on a holiday
>weekend.
>7. A safe archery range,
>8. A big enough place for equestrian events (and the right to have horses
>onsite),
>9. the right to drink alcohol, and
>10. enough showers for 400.
>
>These are all absolute requirements.  If any one of them is missing, the
>site is unacceptable for Warlord.

>Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

Okay. I know I will get horribly flamed for this but I really have to ask.
Why are these items non-negotiable?
Why are hotel rooms so necessary? Camping may be a bit uncomfortable
but it's kind of part of what we do.
We held a lot of courts in non-air conditioned surroundings. It's hot.
We deal with it.
Why are archery or equestrian so important that a site is to be negated
if they can't be accomodated? Less than 5% of the attendees combined
pay much attention to these. I'm not saying they aren't part of the
SCA or important in their own right. But we lose a great site because
5% of people can't play their game for one event that isn't focused
on them?
Warlord is about the armored championship primarily. The rapier
second. The courts. The bardic. Ect...
If there is space for the archery or equestrian and such I love having
them there. I also like motels and air conditioning. But why are these
required? We did quite well without them for many years.
Some people will say it is for health reasons for some of our members.
Fine. But if it is that important I'm sure hotels are within a half hour
of anywhere near the metroplex.
We can't disregard the vast majority of populace because a small
percentage may feel left out. We have become so PC in all of our
dealings that one voice has more power than one hundred. We can
try to accomodate everyone and I'm really all for that. But to totally
disregard something at the risk of offending someone then we just
hogtie ourselves.

And this isn't being said because I'm some bigoted stickjock.
I'm looking at attendance and what people are doing as well
as what the event is about. If we find a great site for 12th Night
but there is no room for armored combat, I'm all for it. 12th Night
isn't about fighting. The main concern for 12th Night is kitchen
facilities and seating.

I don't hate archery or equestrian or air conditioning or nice halls.
I LOVE equestrian. But that isn't the focus of the event. Armored
combat, rapier, bardic, dancing, courts, etc...can all be utilized in
the same space. Equestrian and archery demand a large area that
may not be available. So we lose a good site because of this?

Okay. I'll put on my flame proof suit and hide under a rock now.

Gunthar