[Steppes] An informal poll and February Populace

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 12:05:25 PST 2007

>The showers are not always just a pleasant refreshment. I know of more
>people than myself that have been very close to serious heat illness and
>were able to avoid troubling the chiurgeons because of the cooling showers
>that they took.

And I fully agree with this. Showers are very important. I like showers and
won't go to a site without them. But in the case you are talking about
especially, why couldn't the temporary showers we have had work?
Hose showers may not be the most comfortable things but they definately
work in the summer heat.

>We are trying to increase our attendance, not reduce it.

And if we stay in Canton, how does this work? I know of several people
who won't go to Steppes if it is still in Canton because they hate the
site.

>there are a lot of people who require the ability to plug in medical
>devices
>without worrying about the equipment getting damaged by rain, or disturbing
>their neighbors with the noise of their equipment. Others prefer getting a
>decent night's sleep in a cooler environment which greatly enhances their
>enjoyment of the event. Many of the hotelers are those who want to be
>assured of a safe place to sleep rather than take pot luck on camp sites if
>they cannot get to the site early.

And at no time in my discussion did I mention I wanted a site with
zero amenities or no access to hotels. Electricity, water, roads, level
ground, etc...are all things that are required. I'm not asking to move
Warlord to a cow pasture. I'm saying that some of the things considered
to be deal breakers shouldn't necessarily be considered to be so.

>You say that Warlord is about the armored championship primarily.
>Once upon a time, that may be true, but this is the event where ALL
>or our champions are chosen with the exception of A & S, not just armored.

This is a matter for discussion.

>To exclude even one member is unacceptable.

And here I feel is one of the areas I mentioned. When one member
stops the enjoyment of the many because that one member feels
entitled to special treatment then it is unacceptable. We spend so
much time and effort trying to accomodate everybody that often
everything suffers. Steppes Artisan is so wonderful because it is
dedicated to one thing. If I were to start demanding that Steppes
Artisan is bad because it doesn't also include rapier and a Children's
competition and a feast and a knife, axe and spear throw and
we also need to include a quest and I must have a bar with a
big screen television because that's the same day as the Big
Game and...and...and....

By trying to do everything at Steppes Warlord people just
get overwhelmed and go off and do their one thing and
forget everything else. I'd love to watch the Equestrian
or play with archery or something. But there are also half
a dozen other things happening that I have to divide my time
over. Inclusion is good, but after awhile the 5 Ring Circus
is too much for even the performers, much less the audience.

>So when do you plan to hold the other championships of the Steppes;
>Archery and Equestrian? Do they not deserve Crown presence, too, or
>is that just for, as you called them, "stick jocks?"

I would like a serious look at the number of participants in all of these
Championships and competitions and maybe cull some down or
move them to other events. Yes. I know, how horrible of me. But
do we really need to have competitions and championships for
every activity that goes on? I hate to harp on equestrian because
it sounds like I don't like it but that isn't the case. But what I
am saying is that equestrian often takes a lot of space and resources
to accomodate a very small number of participants.
If we have the space for them I love having them. But should that
be a requirement for a site? I would like to see numbers supporting
the reason.

>but we still manage to have a large event going for another day.
>The large majority stick around to enjoy the second day of the event.

That used to be. But the past few years I've noticed Sunday to be
rather sparse. I think part of the reason is that older population you
mentioned. We have things we want to do now. When we were
20 it was about getting away from everything, fighting, partying,
flirting and all. But a lot of us want to pack up on Sunday and head
home to take care of other duties. The population is considerably
smaller on Sunday. I'm not sure what to do about that exodus.
Shoot, I've been guilty of it the past couple of years myself.

>I notice that you don't mention getting rid of the alcohol. There have
>been sites mentioned that would provide all the space we need if we
>didn't have alcohol on site. In the heat of late May, drinking alcohol
>isn't
>very healthy anyway.

No, it's not. But we won't be getting rid of alcohol at Warlord. Even if
it is put on a dry site, we know it will be there. Maybe not in the
open quantities but it will be there. Also, there are a lot of Peerages
and Vigils held at Warlord and often parties are held. I think they
would be hampered by a dry site. And this is coming from a man
who very rarely drinks more than a glass of wine.

>Widen your view of what makes up this Barony, Count Gunthar.
>The 'minority' is much larger than you think.

I appreciate the numbers on the archery. And I think numbers
need to be shown about the other areas as well. I know of the
interests of the Barony. But I think what the necessities of a
site need to be examined in deeper detail than just the idea we
need to make sure that everything and anything is included.

I hate sounding like an exclusivist villan here, that isn't my point.
But I do think some things need to be reexamined.

>Linet Grey

Gunthar