[Steppes] An informal poll and February Populace

Julie Cunningham juliecunningham65 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 12:55:02 PST 2007

Master Robin said....
  **snip**
  Pros:
1. All of Warlord fits there.
2. A large list field,
3. Parking for over 600,
4. Camping for over 400,
5. An air-conditioned hall big enough for court,
6. Nearby hotel rooms for over 200, that are normally empty on a
holiday
weekend.
7. A safe archery range,
8. A big enough place for equestrian events (and the right to have horses onsite),
9. the right to drink alcohol, and
10. enough showers for 400.
**snip snip**
  11. We don't have to construct showers.
12. The owners bend over backwards to please us.
13. It's easy to drive through, for set-up purposes.
14. Electricity and water available at almost all camping locations.
15. Good quality restrooms.
16. Several good restaurants nearby.

Cons of Canton:
1. Modern, mundane site (see numbers 3, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, and 16,
above).
2. Most of the safe camping in not shaded.
3. People who choose shade over safety, and therefore don't camp above
the
obvious flood lines, are at risk.
4. Security issues with the locals (see 13, above).
   ****Snip**

   I agree with pros and cons here.  I would add one more Con -

  5. that other SCA groups might not come to this event simply because it is held at Canton, a site that they do not like.  That would effect attendance and also our profit.

  Also, one more comment about his #12 Pro, the folks at Canton do work a lot of overtime hours to make sure we have what we need and are happy.  When you run the event this makes the job SO much easier!

  Another Pro - everyone knows where it is.

  I do not like driving that far, but would drive a bit further if we could get a more natural looking site that has close to these amenities.

  After Lyneya posted her message about being overheated, I remembered that I too had been overheated working as the event steward.  I was very thankful to have the cold shower! So showers are important but I have a question. How do others down south deal with not having showers during the heat of the summer?  From what I could remember, the Bryn Gwlad site only had two and they seemed to be able to make do.

  I am hopeful that the one site in Anna will prove to be another option for future Warlords.

  My two cents....

  Katheryn