[Steppes] The Hawkins Site

crystal.lemming at prudential.com crystal.lemming at prudential.com
Wed Feb 14 14:01:21 PST 2007

Are we talking about the same area?  I know some years the archery at 3
Kings was held next to the melee field.

             Susan McMahill
             <sueorintx at hotmai
             l.com>                                                     To
                                       <crystal.lemming at prudential.com>,
                                       <steppes at lists.ansteorra.org>
             Wed 02/14/2007                                             cc
             03:58 PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [Steppes] The Hawkins Site

No, your Grace, it is not as large as Canton's and is far too small for our
needs. At most it can accommodate 10-12 people on the line at one time. At
Canton, we can have twice that many. I have marshalled target archery at
Hawkins several times and this last Three Kings, ran the target archery.
There are safety and visibilty issues involved because of blind areas at
the top of the dike and up the hill toward camp. Hawkins is marginally
about 100 yards wide and is plenty long for what we need, but not wide
enough. A couple of years ago, the target archery at Hawkins was almost
shut down because of issues pertaining to the dike and the hill as safety
zones. I'd rather not see that sort of thing happen at a Steppes event.

Lyneya de Grey

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:50:54 -0600> Subject: [Steppes] The Hawkins Site>
> > Actually there is a very large area next to the lake that we can use
for> target archery. It is easily as large as Canton's archery area. I
don't> think we used a it this last 3 Kings. But I'm pretty sure we used it
for 3> Kings 2005.> > Conal> >
-------------------------------------------------> > The Hawkins site is
too small to support the size of archery tournaments we> hold in order to
have the tournaments completed in a timely manner. We need> a minimum of
100-120 yards square. It has the depth, but not the width. we> have been
pushing it to get done in time for court as it is the past couple> of
years. If we have to use a smaller firing line, we will go well into> court
before we have a champion.> > As far as the lake....I don't know. I am not
a lake swimmer generally and> would prefer to keep my state of undress
private. I also think that if we> are worried about problems with
mundanity, then we will find that modern> bathing suits and bathing attire
which will be most common, will be VERY> mundane. Period bathing attire in
the lake would be...well, the most period> would be without bathing attire
which wouldn't go over at all, I'm sure.> more acceptable bathing garb
could be heavy and somewhat dangerous for> people not used to swimming in