[Steppes] Radical Idea

Elinor Salter steppesexchequer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 19:04:44 PST 2007

Exchequer's point of view:

The official Society land policy (from
http://www.sca.org/docs/finpolicies/SocietyExchequerPolicies.pdf)

V. Land Policy
1) Funds may be designated to the purchase of real estate by SCA
branches, provided that the source, maintenance, and purpose of such
funds is clearly designated within the branch’s financial policy.
2) No representative of the SCA may financially obligate the SCA to the
purchase or substantial improvement of real estate without prior
approval of the Board of Directors. An improvement will be considered to
be substantial if it requires
A) A building permit or other clearance from the local government;
B) Increases the fair market value of the property; or
C) Is constructed in a manner that makes its portability to another site
questionable or unfeasible.
3) A separate incorporation, for the purpose of holding real estate by
an SCA branch, may be required by the Board of Directors. (April 2002)

My interpretation - if we intend to build anything that would require a
building permit, increase the value of the land it sits on or cannot be
moved easily (however I dimly remember reading somewhere that
technically the gate at Gulf Wars is "portable" because of this), we
will have to get the approval of the BOD first. We may be required to
form a separate incorporation, for liability purposes I'm guessing. If
the barony has to incorporate, there will be yearly costs for running a
separate corporation above and beyond building maintenance costs and
materials that the barony will have to absorb. However, I don't know all
the facts, so the Kingdom seneschal and/or exchequer should be consulted
if we want to take this idea any further.

As for actually owning land, an article I found on pg 101 of the
Seneschal's Handbook addresses everything we would have to consider in
that case.
http://www.sca.org/docs/seneschals-hb.pdf

Another option would be to exchange work for reduced site fees. My
former shire in Calontir has had an agreement with a local camp for
several years now where they get reduced site rental in exchange for 2
work days (or more as requested) a year. At a minimum, we would clean
out the cabins to open or close the season and bring out or store the
mattresses, but we also moved bales of hay, cut down underbrush, gutted
a trailer, painted, etc. I wasn't privy to the actual agreement at the
time but I could ask when I'm there this weekend.

--
Ly. Elinor Salter
Exchequer, Barony of the Steppes, Ansteorra