[Steppes] [Lindenwood] Radical Idea

shona haskins shonao at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 22:20:10 PST 2007

You know, McFaddin has grand plans for Tanglewood. But money and labor
(mostly the cash part of it) restrict how much is done.
Tanglewood only takes 1.5 hours to get to, and the roads are fine. There is
about a mile of dirt road, but they make sure it is always grated when
things are going on. Other than that, all roads going there are paved. They
now have an RV section, complete with electrical outlets. Amtgard's Banner
Wars is held there every year, and I believe there were upwards of over
400-500 people there this last BW back in October. I was notably impressed
with it then, as the last time I had been down there it was still overtly
primitive.

As for a hall, I don't know that it is a big priority, as showers and
permanent flushing toilets are moreso. Besides, Amtgarders are generally
used to not having such things, so it probably hasn't much crossed their
minds as a need persay.

However, if someone from the SCA were to approach him with a proposal as
such, seeing as how this will basically be used once a year, he's prolly sit
down and listen, and talk it over. Can't guarantee past that, but as Ches
said, he is a wonderful man, and nothing if not pretty darn level-headed.
And larbor and supplies are always going to be a bonus when brought to the
table.

With him, it's kinda nice as far as the fear of sale of any land time and
money is put into, but he purchased the acerage for Tanglewood specifically
to have it for Amtgard events. And SCA has used it in the past, and perhaps
wasn;t the greatest as it was, but was also still only a year past the time
he originally purchased it. So there is no fear of him selling it...heck,
he's even put up a mobile home for him to live out there certain times of
the year so he can get a lot done instead of having to day trip it all the
time. So lots has gotten done.

Just thought I'd weigh in on that one....*shrug*  But I know it has worked
out for Amrgard to have a person own the land with nothing but labor and
materials comming from that individual (obviously) but also from donations.
It's always slow going when starting from scratch though, as when he
purchased the land, there was no more than 10 feet between trees in any
given direction, and now you have permanent camps, RV area, lit "ditch"
field (basically off the major battle field for pick-ups, as in Amtgard,
ditching occurs at all hours of the day and night) and they are in the
middle of building a bardic area with stage and log seating. Pretty cool.

Anyhow, I've rambled enough. =) Have a good weekend!

-Annwn

On 2/23/07, Chiara Francesca <chiara.francesca at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tanglewood is south of Ennis, well over 2.5 hours away. It is a site I
> actually really like now but did not like way back when it first opened.
>
> As soon as they get better roads to that site and a hall (they have
> permanent open pavilions in a U shape now) it will be one we should
> definitely should pursue a relationship with the land owner. He is a very
> wonderful straight up guy. They land actually has a counsel that meets
> once
> a month just to discuss finances and improvement contracts with other
> groups
> for the land.
>
> This Saturday morning we are going to go visit two more sites. It seems
> that
> when we go to one site they refer us to another site and another. :)
>
> For those interested in going please contact me. We will be meeting at
> Damon's home that morning, I do not have a time yet.
>
> See you all at Populace tonight!! :)
>
> Chiara

Well behaved women rarely make history.