[Steppes] Steppes Knight Marshal Reporting for July 2007

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Wed Jul 11 20:04:29 PDT 2007

Heilsa,

FYI - The Steppes Newsletter for July has not been included on the
Steppes web site - I made the grand decision to post the Knight Marshal
Report for July.

Steppes Knight Marshal, Lord Michael Kettering, sends greetings. The
Month of June has been a bit damp at times. This dampness has not dimmed
nor flooded out the baronial fighter practice. It is going strong and
for the coming month of July will continue regardless of the moisture.
The park, Mary Heads Carter Park in Carrollton was designed and built
with the thought of having excellent drainage and level ground, as
oppose to most parks in the Steppes area, which are built on and/or in
the middle of flood plains.

Sunday the 17th of June, we did get some rain. We just moved to under
the permanent pavilion and waited. The rain ceased and the sun came out,
people got into armor and we held practice. So, if the sky is
threatening at your place, it might not at the park and if it is - then
we just wait it out. The park does drain that well.

Coming month of July - the activities will depend upon the number of
fighters who come out. It is my hope to start up a bear pit based upon
skill level. Scenario involves winning two fights in a row, then the
winner moves to the next square and the loser will face a new fighter.
Each square skill will be solely based upon the skill of the fighter
holding that square at that moment in time.

Come test your skill!

Every Sunday afternoon from 2 PM to 6 PM. At the end of practice, a
group will go to dinner at one of the buffets around the local area.

Remember this is Summer or should be by now - drink plenty of water both
prior and during fighter practice. Bring it with you to practice, I
would suggest a minimum of 1 gallon or more with you at practice. I
would also suggest bring a small ice chest to it cold. Plus any other
snacks that will give you a boost.

A small moment for the soap box - it has been awhile since I stood up at
that elevation. A discussion took place concerning speed vs., skill,
which should one be striving for?

The answer is both, in the long term of fighting with shield and sword -
then skill will win out over speed in that long term. Since time waits
for no one and everyone moves along with it whether they wish to or not.
They might wish that time would just not push them with the rest and
some how over looked them. Sad fact, time will not leave anyone alone,
as we all play this game of ours, hopefully with the knowledge and
experience - some call experience wisdom - there will be an increase in
the level of skill to match. The problem as I see it, to become good or
"average" as a heavy fighter then a certain level of speed needs to be
developed to go along with that skill. The simple true to get past the
defense of the majority of the experienced fighters in this Kingdom,
then speed does becomes one of many factors. The trouble is that speed
will only carried someone so far with the end result of that individual
will always give out long before their opponents and be left behind
watching from the sidelines. The majority with the skill and the
understanding in how to use their training, including their speed will
stay upon the field.

The answer is one that the best fighters have come to understand and
incorporated into their fighting and training - developed the skill and
the speed will come along naturally. It may take some time, but in this
aspect of the Game - the old adage comes to mine: "You get out what You
put into it."

And the way to develop and improve your skill and speed is to come out
to practice.

See all of you out at practice!

YIS,
Lord Michael Kettering