[Steppes] Feast vs. Catering

shark shark75080 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 24 10:35:01 PDT 2007

My worry is that this year we may not have many options. We will need to find a site fairly quickly I think, as many will be setting up weddings or banquets for that weekend. So we may need 2 discussions, one - what CAN we do this year, and the other, what is ideal. If this is going to be a regional event, then we should try and have our entire region help scour the countryside for the perfect venue. I prefer period feast when I can get it. But I think our price requirements, wet site requirements, feast requirements and hall size are going to be very hard to meet. We will have to compromise something somewhere I'm afraid - unless we can find the right site. Perhaps just finding a place that would give us the hall w/ BYOB and let us bring food in would work.
I'm with Gunter, I have cooked for 300 people on camp stoves and done it in a sanitary way and every thing was hot and really good. So if we could find a place where we could set up in the parking lot and pre-prep as much as possible, I think it would work. And yes, because I love 12th night, if you find a site like that I will offer my services at home or in a parking lot tent for prep. I can even chop veggies in the hotel room if I need to, It might drive the menu to simple period fare a bit, but I'm ok with that too! We can always get "fancy" on the period make-ahead desserts, if there is such a thing,

I would be sorry to deny our local feastophiles a venue for their art and interests, just like I'm sorry that there are so many restrictions on the archery community at events due to their specific needs and requirements for sites.... I feel like I'm a browncoat and the alliance is moving into my territory here...Vivat SCA!

Just my rambles here,
Susanna of C