[Steppes] Feast vs. Catering

April Page alpage1225 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 24 11:04:07 PDT 2007

The issue that has been raised with using a catering service usually comes down to the fact that the event venue itself requires us to use their catering.  It's not just banning us from using their kitchen, they require us to use their services because, besides charging the site fee and any other fees for security, cleaning or the like, this is also how they make their money.  This would even prohibit us from bringing in our own pre-cooked feast.  And it can make an event very, very expensive.

  If we utilize an event site where the kitchen facilities are small or non-existent, it is very possible to pre-cook the feast off-site and use the prep kitchen as a warming facility.  It's been done before -- it just requires organization on behalf of the feast steward and his/her staff.

  In my humble opinion, I really think we should avoid those venues that require us to use their catering services.  Besides ruining the ambiance of a traditionally period event, it would most likely blow any proposed budget and put the groups participating at a loss.

  Just my two cents,

  Elizabeth

shark <shark75080 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  LOL just to be clear I was arguing for doing a "bring in" feast situation in this post, if that's even possible.