[Steppes] Feast vs Catering

alkudsi at aol.com alkudsi at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 07:32:15 PDT 2007

I have been silent on this debate because I felt that everyone else was making good points and did not need my two cents worth, but I guess I couldn't last without saying SOMETHING.? Did you really think I couldn't?

I agree with Mistress Aslyn wholeheartedly.?Memories and traditions are what are really being discussed here. I've autocrated 12th Night twice...the first time I was supposed to be just the feast steward, and ended up the autocrat for the whole thing.? I had only been in the SCA a year at the time, and would never have been able to pull it together at all without House Gilwell, Don Alaric, and Baroness Anne Louise. It was a tiny kitchen, a very small hall, and we had more than 300 jammed in.? One pot of soup burned on the bottom as we were warming it up, and the ovens got massively greasy reheating all the roast ducks and geese, but somehow it worked.? I hardly remember the last part of the evening because I was so tired, but I'll NEVER forget the kindness of everyone who helped.?

I have many precious memories of 12th Night feasts, not just the event...especially Gunther's cooking! I'd hate to see those memories dimmed by catered events and to know that newer members are not having the chance to make memories like them.?

I think what we need to do is concentrate on a simpler, less complicated feast, of some good basic foods, highlighted with one or two special dishes that allow our period cooks to show off or that reflect a theme for the event.? I know I've done that before...at the State Fair hall 12th Night, I did one dish of shushbarek, a Middle Eastern version of ravioli, that went out with the main course.? Most of the work was done at home...all I needed to do was warm the pasta and sauce to serve.? Also, a simpler feast would mean that food was out to the populace while it was hot (or cold) and with fewer delays.? This would also assist those of our group who have special needs, especially if sauces and gravies were served on the side instead of on the basic food.?

I think part of the problems we've faced lately has more to do with less prep work ahead of time and more work on site.? That puts a massive burden on the kitchen staff and feast steward, especially if the kitchen has limitations.? Preparing dishes ahead of time and freezing, if done properly, is a good solution.? Also, getting permission from the halls to let our feast steward come in ahead of time (maybe the week before) to check that everything is working properly would prevent reoccurances of the raw chicken 12th Night.? But even the fiascos can provide fond memories...("it's not too late, fly, fly away" yelled His Majesty Inman tossing his raw chicken in the air, causing everyone within hearing to almost choke to death laughing).?

Focusing on the realistic is the key, I think.?Use smaller events, local events to really go wild with courses and lots of period dishes, and use more basic (but just as tasty -- thanks Gunther!) dishes for events like 12th Night. Preparing as much as possible ahead of time and freezing; using more vegetable and fruit dishes as sides. Give our pasty and candy cooks a chance to help with sweet course.??And give our people with special needs the opportunity to perhaps augment their dishes brought from home so that they feel a part of the event.

HL Saqra

P.S. If this appears as a re-post to you, I'm sorry.? It appeared to me after I sent the original yesterday that it never made it to the list. I certainly never saw it appear.? And of course, yesterday's massive explosion and concern for all of downtown Dallas did take precedence.?