[Steppes] OT - Lance Corporal

Wilkerson, Glen D glen.d.wilkerson at lmco.com
Mon Jun 25 05:09:40 PDT 2007

HOO-Rah!

Alaric

-----Original Message-----
From: steppes-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:steppes-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of
ciard49 at aol.com
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 7:11 PM
To: steppes at ansteorra.org; falconrose at lists.ansteorra.org;
rosenfeld at yahoogroups.com; Cindythompson at indy.rr.com;
msupercinski at htcomp.net; GSlackeaux at cs.com
Subject: [Steppes] OT - Lance Corporal

I can't help but be proud of my nephew!    Please keep him and all our
military your prayers.

HL Ciard O'Seachnasaigh

aka Betty Herrington

Letter from the Battalion Commander

This is a letter I received today - I am a very proud Marine Corp Mom.

June 2, 2007

Mrs. Herrington,

As the Battalion Commander of the 1st Battalion, 8th Marines I want to
take this opportunity to congratulate you on your son's meritorious
promotion to Lance Corporal.

Lance Corporal Tompkins' meritorious promotion to Lance Corporal is a
testament to his hard work, dedication and loyalty to this Battalion and
United States Marine Corps. Marines such as Lance Corporal Tompkins,
embody all that is good in the Marine Corps and uphold our core values
of honor, courage and commitment. The professionalism, unselfishness,
and steadfast devotion Lance Corporal Tompkins approaches his duty with
are exemplary and are emulated by all who observe him.

Lance Corporal Tompkins' meritorious promotion was not an easy task I
assure you. Lance Corporal Tompkins displayed unparalleled expertise in
the profession of arms throughout a rigorous two day evaluation in which
he competed against his peers in the following events: three uniform
inspections, close order drill with a Noncomissioned Officer's Sword, a
physical fitness test, a wall locker inspection and an oral interview
which tested his knowledge of various military subjects. At the
conclusion of this rigorous selection process one nominee was chosen
from over 700 Marines to be meritoriously promoted to Lance Corporal
ahead of his peers; this promotion has been bestowed on your son.

The choice of who becomes meritoriously promoted is an object of the
greatest importance: the order and discipline of this Battalion depends
so much on their behavior that too much care cannot be taken in their
selection. Honesty, sobriety and a remarkable attention to every point
of duty, with neatness in their dress are indispensable requisites; a
spirit of command respect and obedianceefrom the Marines, expertness in
performing every part of training, and an ability to teach, are
absolutely necessary in order to obtain this honored position. Your son
embodies the before mentioned definition; in recognition of his
achievement I am proud to address him as a Lance Corporal of the
Marines.

You should be very proud of your son's great accomplishment. I am
honored to be Lance Corporal Tompkins' Battalion Commander and I thank
you for the support you provide him as he continues his Marine Corps
career. I am proud to have your son in our ranks and share with him the
title of United States Marine.

M. Saleh

Chad is currently training in the desert in California - he will be done
with his training in July - he will be home around August 23 for about
10 day prior to his deployment to Iraq on September 4th. Please let's
all keep him in our prayers.

Steppes at lists.ansteorra.org