[Steppes] Halloween at SMU

Quill gray.quill at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 17:57:30 PDT 2007

Greetings Barony
Some time back at a populace meeting I expressed my desire to connect the
Medieval Club at SMU with the SCA as much as possible, for the benefit of
both parties. The club had its first meeting last week and I have to confess
she's a bit of a lame duck. Interest, participation, leadership, all are
suffering from a bit of apathy... but it /does/ exist, and that's what
counts; furthermore, it now has me to kick it in the rump!

Our first event of the year is a Halloween shindig, scheduled to happen on
the evening of October 31 precisely. Oddly enough no one on the committee
has ever been to an SMU Halloween before, so we don't really know what's
supposed to happen. This can be a good and a bad thing - on the one hand, we
have no precedent to guide us; on the other, we're not held back by those
precedents.

The idea at the moment is to hold a "Celtic Hallows Eve", perhaps with a
pseudo religious service of some sort, along with games, food, and a lecture
from Professor Adams about the origin of the holiday. There is plenty of
room for guests in funny clothes to join the celebration and make it that
more "medievally" [sic]. I'll be honest, these are vague plans, with no
itinerary, delegation of duty, or known funds (and the lack of order and
energy is frustrating). I'll keep Steppes posted on what, if anything, they
can do to be involved if they wish, so if you feel like making a presence
and don't have anything to do that Wednesday evening (oh yeah, I'm stoked
about hosting a party like this in the middle of the week) mark your
calendar.

--
In service to The Dream,
Cuillioc "Quill"  /|\