[Steppes] Gaelic Language Question

Quill gray.quill at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 20:03:37 PDT 2007

Actually, I'd quite like to know what's going on with that as well; Yagyu,
mate, I know you're busy, but the occasional email would be nice!

Secondly, in answer to your linguistic queery, Nzingha, I actually found
that Wikipedia has rather a brilliant article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differences_between_Scottish_Gaelic_and_Irish
Saves me time writing it, gives some excellent examples, and also saves a
lot of list space.

Your question is a fun one to explore though; their similarities and
differences are fascinating, from pronunciation of similar words to complete
discrepancies in grammatical structure. Irish and Scots Gaelic are both from
the Goidelic branch of the Celtic-Insular Celtic family, along with Manx. In
a way the are not so much two different languages as they are really more
dialectic groups with a horrifyingly delicious tangelweb of connections and
dead ends between them. (Also, Scots G. is more closely related to Manx than
Irish G. is.)

For the purpose of your song, learning a bit of Irish can't hurt... much. I
don't know that learning to pronounce words in Irish rather than Scots will
help or hinder your cause; you'd probably have to discuss in further detail
with Yagyu. (Goidelic isn't my branch anyway.)

Cheers!

--
In service to The Dream,
Cuillioc "Quill"  /|\