[Steppes] Fighters at SMU Demo

Quill gray.quill at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:20:53 PDT 2008

FIGHTERS, HEED MY WORD!

Re the demo at SMU - all fighting type folk are welcome and encouraged to
attend. However, there will NOT be any fighting done at this demo. It is
being held on a college campus, and to authorize "live action" combat would
take too much paperwork; even if there were those willing to do that
paperwork, it would take too long to push through the appropriate avenues.
Also there's really not an area that would be safe, for fighters or for
onlookers. (Furthermore, there is a choreographed stage combat demonstration
going on, which would detract attention, or which we would take attention
from ourselves. Either way it's not great juju.)

Heavy fighters, I would like to invite you to bring your armor, to wear it
or just show it, especially if you're willing to let people try it on. Bring
your best examples of weapons etc. too, and be ready to describe their make
and use, but know that they will not be made use of any further than the
occasional "here, hit this shield".
Rapier fighters are also needed, however please have your "real blades" in a
scabbard or stringently peace-bound, and be ready to leave them in the car.
I don't have any standards to give you, so we'll deal with each item on a
case by case basis; I don't foresee any trouble with having most of our
stuff out for "display" purposes, but again, actual fighting is out.

I'm really sorry if there has been confusion with other announcements.
Everyone's enthusiasm and support for this venture has been really
incredible, and I hope that this little setback doesn't deter anyone from
attending.

Postscript: "But Quill!" I hear you cry, "The fighting is [ostensibly] our
biggest draw in the SCA, especially with college guys!" Yes, I know, and
there is hope that sometime in the future we can hold a couple of special
fighting practices/demonstrations specifically for those interested in
bruises and brain cell loss. :) For this demo, unfortunately, the best we
can do is have a computer out that will be playing war videos. It's a feeble
substitute, I know. :(

--
In service to The Dream and Dreamers all,
Cuillioc /|\ "Quill"

"It is said that the Devil never crossed the Tamar into Cornwall on account
of the well-known habit of Cornish women of putting everything into a pasty,
and that he was not sufficiently courageous to risk such a fate!"

-From the cookbook _Cornish Recipes Ancient and Modern_