[Steppes] Demo Success

Quill gray.quill at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 08:53:00 PDT 2008

(Sorry this took so long to get out! It's finals week... and stuff!)

I am beyond pleased to announce that Sunday's demo at SMU was an utter
success. For my first demo, I think it gave me just the right amount of
headache beforehand - "there!" it seemed to say, "that'll teach you!" I
jest, of course. I'm glad it's over though!

There were a few complications; the weather looked a bit iffy, and I forgot
to account for Sunday morning traffic coming out of the neighborhood church
and complicating traffic. Nonetheless, many brave souls eventually found
their way to us.

I must first thank Vyolante for pushing so hard for me with so little
information on such short notice, and to her Excellency Katheryn for all her
support and positivity. I don't know what I did for you to put so much faith
in me, but thank you.

To HE Crandall, who showed up ridiculously early and made sure no questions
went unanswered; to HLord Fiacha who came to us in full armor and
represented the best of chivalric fighters everywhere; to HLady Saqra, whose
grace and beauty knows no bounds, and whose awesome A&S caught the eye of
many; to Christianna, Duncan, and their lovely daughters Elena and Anabella,
whose served to bring quite a festive yet homely air to the occasion; to Sir
Lasguaard, who snuck in unexpectedly and made us all look good; to Thomas
the Wanderer, whose wide-reaching knowledge he offered unreservedly; and to
Don Ingve, who brought the hospitaler information to us... I am simply
overwhelmed by your generosity, and almost without words for how touched I
was. This Demo was all yours, and damned if you didn't make it great.

There wasn't really any competition for attention; neither the trebuchet nor
stage combat groups lasted long or did much to call their audiences to them.
We on the other hand not only captured the attention of students on their
way into the museum, but whole families, a wonderfully wide variety of
people, many of whom took bookmarks and flyers and left their contact
information. Little children were drawn by the presence of Christianna two
little ones, strapping college boys couldn't resist commenting on Fiacha's
well chosen extra-shiny armor, and academic parents wanted to know all about
what we did and the educational opportunities inherent.

I would now like to extend an apology to all fighters who felt like they
couldn't join us. Although your presence and contributions would have been
well welcomed, I did intentionally discourage you from coming, mostly to
avoid paperwork and awkward situations, and I regret that. After becoming
more familiar with the way things work here on campus, I can say I will NOT
be doing that again. There are obviously ways of authorizing weapons and
fight demonstrations on campus, and you all are MUCH more exciting than...
what little we saw from the stage combat group. If the throng were excited
just to see us meander into their lives, imagine the thrill we could have
given them with just a few showy pickup fights off to the side.

We did well Steppes, and we can do even better! I almost can't wait until
next year. For now though... I think I'll spend the months in between
sleeping...

--
In service to The Dream and Dreamers all,
Cuillioc /|\ "Quill"

"It is said that the Devil never crossed the Tamar into Cornwall on account
of the well-known habit of Cornish women of putting everything into a pasty,
and that he was not sufficiently courageous to risk such a fate!"

-From the cookbook _Cornish Recipes Ancient and Modern_