[Steppes] art exhibit at the Meadows

Karen Calhoun kmcalhou at garlandisd.net
Fri Apr 25 06:35:26 PDT 2008

I was able to preview the exhibit currently at the Meadows (SMU).  It's "Fernando Gallego and his Workshop:  The Altarpiece from the Ciudad Rodrigo."  It is an amazing display of the altarpiece and other religious pieces from circa 1490.

I was able to go through the exhibit with the Education coordinator and others who gave an indepth explanation of the workshop environment and philosophy of the time.  The exhibit shows how the paintings were created starting with a pencil sketch that is then pounced on to a panel.  Then assorted workshop personnel fill in with color; almost a color by number scenario.  It was really interesting to find that artwork that is credited to a single person was actually a group effort overseen by the master.

The exhibit is $8.  However a group can get a docent tour for $5 each.  Parking is free and the garage is easy to find.  There is some nudity and blood so you might not want to take the little ones without a preview first.  As a study in Spanish iconography; it's one not to be missed.  The exhibit will be on display through July 27.

Karen/Katya
Sometimes being a teacher has it's advantages!