[Steppes] The Dream, New comers, and how we play the game.

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Mon Apr 21 17:46:48 PDT 2008

I would like comment on the concept "The Dream is Dying". Yes, it is always dying or at least in the last years. I have been the SCA 39 years and it wasn't always dying.

In 1979 some of our most sensitive members noticed a change in Philosophy of Ansteorra. There was a movement started that was moving the point of Ansteorra off the study of historical ideals and culture to "The Dream".  The leadership that was leading the movement did not want to live up to "nobliss Oblige". They didn't want to spend time teaching or listening to the masses. They wanted everything to entertain them and support their ego.

In other kingdoms people in power did anything they wanted to do. They didn't defend the rights of people nor did they spend time looking at their artwork or listening to their bad stories. Nobles and Peers from other places actually laughed at Ansteorrian Nobles and Peers for giving the people so many rights.  Most other kingdoms Nobles and Peers thought of the regular populace as Yeoman. Free but not very important. Ansteorra Nobles because of Duke Jonathan believed that the people of Ansteorra were of noble blood and as such had rights in a feudal society.

Yes, the Dream is dieing. Many of our newcomers see this. They are only staying with us on the average of 5 years. They come in seeing the good and then they see the worm and they leave.

We do not let this happen. We can think about what makes up the Dream and apply those Ideals to our SCA life. If the Dream is dieing it is because we are letting it happen.

I can tell you something. Living to the Grand Ideal of the SCA "the Dream" is easier when we are "playing the game". When we are trying to live the lifes of period Lords and Ladies. Peers and Nobles the Knightly manner becomes more natural.

Duchess Willow de Wisp