[Steppes] If you could do one thing....

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 23 23:27:00 PDT 2008

> If you could do one thing with the rest of your life,
> different from what you're doing work related now, what would
> it be and why? :)

Be a (better) Bard.  (It would / will take a while to explain that one,
at least to my way of thinking... Here's a first installment.)

I've *got* to work on my memorization skills; should really learn to
play more instruments than some simple percussion and modern piano /
keyboards; ought to invest in re-learning the music theory & notation I
once knew fairly well; need to invest more time in composition, musical
and poetical and prose and "formal" articles; definitely need to update
/ consolidate additional material into THE research paper; need to make
more time at events to perform and to listen to others performing; need
to develop some more [formal] classes that I can offer, esp. at least
two more with some "in-depth" aspect where I have also taught / will
also teach introductory material; simply *must* try to make it to more
teaching / learning opportunities; should write -- or at least collect
and "normalize" -- some standard answers or even full tutorials to cover
sub-areas and special topics within the history of bards, Bards, SCA
bards, and related performers; invest in some deeper research on a few
areas, especially pertaining to some surviving documents from the 16th
century (or at least respectable translations thereof) and the
associated furor that they raised / may have raised; und so weiter.

(Oh, yeah, that reminds me:  need to add or improve reading
comprehension for at least a half-dozen languages, probably beginning
with German [preferably in at least two dialects], Latin in at least two
forms, French, Arabic, Hindi/Sanskrit, Spanish [also in at least two
dialects / variations] AND if at all possible fold in some
conversational learning / experience in at least three of those while
I'm at it.  Wouldn't hurt to include a couple of more "dead" languages,
like ancient Egyptian and Mayan, plus some form of Irish and *naturally*
Welsh as well -- but I'm certain I am supposed to budget for sleep
SOMETIME.)

Really pretty simple, when you come down to it.  I may "get it right" in
oh, perhaps, another five or six lifetimes.  IF I am very, very good
behavior-wise, and IF I am patient, and IF I perhaps can attract a
little bit of luck on the side.

Until then, I try to keep being the best facsimile edition I can cobble
together at any given moment.

(And stay committed to the search for the paying employment to support
the life style to which I would certainly prefer to stay accustomed.
With regrets, that is why I can't commit to being available to teach at
any near-future event:  "between assignments", currently, and may end up
back on the road sooner instead of later.  It's the not knowing that
wears a feller down, I tell you true!  I *will* do my best to stay
around for, and have budgeted to attend, Elfsea Spring Faire and Steppes
Warlord.  Unfortunately, "filthy lucre" sometimes trumps our other
desires.)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/