[Steppes] The Region Formerly Known As West

Quill gray.quill at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 01:50:42 PST 2008

To the excellent people of the Barony of Steppes.

I came to you not very long ago from the Western Region. Though it seems
like my whole life, I have not actually been doing this SCA thing for very
long, and in that short time I've been all over the place, but so far
residency-wise I've spent the most time out there. And so, as my new
baronial home, I hope you'll understand when I tell you my heart weeps right
now for the pain of our neighbors.

Word may or may not have reached you by the time you read this that the
Western Region is, by royal decree, being dissolved. Five of her shires are
being disbanded in this, and told to choose to let their numbers fall with
either the Barony of Bonwicke or the Shire of Trelac (who has been
encouraged to put in for Baronial status soon, once they have the numbers
and some semblance of new stability). These groups will then be asked which
region they wish to align with henceforth (and, though unlikely, it is
possible that we may receive them as fellows of the Central). All this has
happened for a number of reasons, and I'm certainly not the one to try and
explain - I know very little of actual details and even less of the history
and progress of things... but I do know that, though they will survive and
make the most of their situations, there is much heartache and bitterness.

I love my friends and family in the West dearly, as I love each and every
Ansteorran. That is why I would like to ask you all now, could the Barony of
Steppes (et al) please do what you can to support our fellows under the
Sable Star. A word of encouragement from time to time, and I know that it's
probably a lot to ask many of you, but it is possible to make it all the way
out there for some events. I know they would be incredibly appreciative.

One of my favourite things about the SCA is how we know that wherever we go
we'll have friends; stalwart friends who will do nearly anything for fellow
seekers of The Dream, from providing someone with tent, garb and armor for
the weekend, to a warm house open to anyone in a blizzard, to giving a poor
college student a hot home-cooked meal and a box of utensils to take home
with him... And as the middle of the Central region, in the heart of
Ansteorra, I know I can count on you now. Thank you Steppes.

--
In Service to The Dream, and to each of you
Cuillioc /|\ "Quill"