[Steppes] Our own Heirs!

shona haskins shonao at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 13:24:43 PDT 2008

Unto the Barony,
As our wonderful Baroness announced, the Heirs to the crown are indeed our
own dear Gunthar and Elizabeth. While it was indeed a warm day, it was
thankfully graced with fairly regular breezes! Unlike the stillness of the
air at Warlord! I heard many a mumble of thanks from the fighters and ladies
alike when a merciful breeze came thorough!

Don Duncan and my Lord John presented their current Majesties Ansteorra with
coins. A pound of coin from the Steppes Mint. The crowd enjoyed the sharing
of wealth from the mint members as they retreated from the royal pavilion.
Thankfully, the masses were indeed warned of the dangers of flying largess!
His Majesty looked to be VERY pleased with his newly received coin! And the
populace was abuzz with chatter about the wonderful coins!

The fights were wonderful to watch! I was nestled between a gaggle of
fighters, and never once heard one word about displeasure of an opponent, or
how an opponent reacted to shots. It was very pleasing to an Ansteorran
woman's heart!
Our own Gunthar was a tad nervous, but handled all his fights beautifully!
Never looking nervous or rattled. He even managed to sneak in an amusing
Gunthar-move, where he spun to avoid his attacker then at the end of the
spin laid a deciding shot! Quite enjoyable!!!
The words of Dear Sir Gunthar were inspiring and moving when saluting his
lovely lady, the Lady Elizabeth. Making many a close-eared woman misty-eyed!

In the final four, it was seemingly even MORE moving when Duke Miguel
exercised his Ducal prerogative in bowing out of the tourney in favor of Sir
Gunthar. While maybe not meant to be so, it was just as, if not more
emotional a thing to watch than the beautiful salutes. It was magnificent to
watch. (but then, perhaps this was just because it was the first time I had
seen it happen, and was all ready emotionally invested!)

The final fight between Sir Rodry (sp?) and Sir Gunthar were moved to a
shaded area (mercifully), and Gunthar was mildly rested and ready. I stood
in the middle of the Oporto women, behind Elizabeth, watching the fight as
it uncurled. Both men were tired, but it was a nice and clean fight! Gunthar
taking the first point, Rodry taking the second. There was so much
electricity in the air in the little 10 foot area us women were in, it was
amazing. I can only wonder at the feelings of everyone else as they watched
the last bout unfold....
Finally Gunthar wounded Sir Rodry, and there was a gasp from the crowd; and
in an eloquent (albeit tired) manner, Gunthar asked that Rodry yield, and
allow Gunthar to be the next King of Ansteorra. Sir Rodry, in an answer we
could not hear, agreed. And I do have to say that if the air had been any
more electric around the Oporto women and friends gathered in that area,
there would have been lightning!!!

Our hearts were overjoyed, and we were all full of joyous tears as we
watched Lady Elizabeth _run_ to Gunthar in loving celebration!
Watching them receive the crowns of the Heirs of Ansteorra was even more
emotional, as even stoic Baroness Alice was in happy tears! (but don't tell
her I told you! *grin*)

We then set about getting things done....lots to do now! Our Heirs will now
be going to Pensic next week, and there is much planning to be done!
The day was ended in the Hall on the hill, where our Heirs were presented
formally, and all were joyous!
There was even an elevation announcement!! A new Laurel will be made!
(forgive me for not knowing his name, but I DO know he makes wonderful meads
and other libations!)

Court was released, and there was a Chiv circle, and everyone else began
packing up.
Our trio decided to head home, too tired for any revelry, and I am hoping my
Lady Elizabeth understood! We were exhausted after little sleep the night
before, and such a hot and emotionally charged day! I can only imagine how
hard the two of them crashed that night!
Though I am also sure it was a wonderfully peaceful sleep of happiness and
exhaustion!

And now, the Steppes is home to the Heirs of Ansteorra!
Dear Gunthar and Elizabeth, we are indeed proud.

Lovingly,
Lady Annwn

--
Well behaved women rarely make history.