[Steppes] Greek Costuming help?

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 12:33:56 PST 2009

Greetings costumers,

I am researching Greek costuming (again) for a mundane group.

I have ionic and doric chiton (peplos) patterns (very easy), himation and chlamys patterns (also easy) and information on hair and footwear.  What I know so far on materials is wool, linen (some linen/cotton blends work) and silk (usually raw or duponi silk, if I remember correctly), which drape the best - some muslins work, but I plan to stay away from the 100% cottons.

Here is my question:
I know that embellishments can be added to the bottom of the chiton/peplos overflap of material, but what art forms were being used at that time that would make them look more period?  I know that trim can be used, but some trims look exactly like that - trim.  Embroidery would take too long for this project, but there might be some trims or brocades that might look like the edge was embroidered.  Suggestions here?  Was there fabric painting at that time?  I know very little about it, but I was even thinking that a Greek Key rubber stamp might work along the edge or stenciling, even.  Suggestions?  Other embellishment designs I've heard of are shells and leaves.  At one event, years ago, I remember seeing a particularly beautiful white ionic chiton, belted over the flap, with beautiful purple seashells painted along the edge.

I can't find my Compleat Anachronist on the subject, though there is alot of info online.  Any suggestions or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Yours in service,
HL Gabrielle Honoree de Saint Pierre

“It was a good clang, with the oiyoiyoioioioioioinnnnnggggggg that is the mark of a clang well done.” The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett. (also the exact sound of a face connecting with a Paris traffic light) :D