[Steppes] Vivat to the Steppes Archers!

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 18:39:17 PST 2009

On behalf of the archers of the Steppes, Master Robin, thank you.

I have been a part of the Steppes for six and a half years now. I began shooting archery within a month or two of joining the Barony, having not done so since I was in junior high some 30 plus years earlier. I found a fun-loving, active, intelligent group of people who were exciting to be around and most hospitable. While I enjoy all aspects of events, it is archery that holds my heart and where I spend most of my time.

My first Warlord was the year of the Great Flood. I had helped with archery on Saturday, but the Steppes Archer competition was cancelled along with the rest of the event that year. I chased archery butts through the floodwaters with Jaque the Spink and had helped to make the prize arrows that were to be given that year. These were footed arrows of purple-heart and cedar with fletches of black and white cut in the shape of an Oak Leaf. I am the proud owner of one of the spares that did not pass quality control to go into the prize basket, Jaque gifted it to me. It hangs on my wall above my scrolls.

Since that first Warlord that I attended, archery has grown in the Barony. For those who do not understand how much archery we do at the event, I will be glad to fill you in.

Saturday morning within an hour of the end of morning court, we are ready to begin. Typically there is a William Tell or novelty shoot that is fairly short, but almost always very entertaining. It fills in the time until we have all the entrants of the Novice Tournament signed in.

The Novice Tournament that we run has been sponsored by HL Jaque the Spink with the help of HL Wil Ironwyrm and members of House Arkham for five years, I believe. It is the largest and I believe it was the first of its kind in Ansteorra. Archers may compete in this tournament only if their Royal Round averages are less than 45 and they have never won a tournament before. There is a certain amount of marshal's discretion here. If someone has placed at Royal Huntsman or other tournaments fairly consistently, they will not get to shoot here. This is for the archers that are just starting out or have never won anything before. Sometimes it gets kind of frustrating shooting against the 'big guns' knowing that you don't stand a chance. We try to have loaner equipment available. Many who shoot in the Novice have never picked up a bow before. We welcome the opportunity to give anyone the experience.The prize, provided by HL Jaque, is always worth winning, usually a period-style bow, at least. This shoot can take two or three hours which takes us to three or four oclock in the afternoon. We have had 35 or so shoot in this tournament before, but the average is probably closer to 25. If there is a marshal willing to run the range for longer, archers are welcome to shoot Royal Rounds or an IKAC for an away score in order to get an official standing in the Kingdom.

Sunday starts very early. While most folks are nursing hangovers if they have bothered to stay on site, The archery marshals are already at work. Typically we hold Children's Archery at the Oh My Goodness hour of 7:30 or 8:00 so that we can get it completed before morning court so that the winner get their award presented in front of a bunch of people. We'd love to make it a bit later, but with other scheduling issues, we haven't found a way to do it. We have had as many as 20 children, though usually less than 10.

After morning court, we are signing in archers for the Big One...Steppes Archer. This competition draws more archers than darn near any other archery competition in the Kingdom. Location is one reason, but the fact that the Steppes has produced some of the finest archers in the Kingdom is another reason. We will average 30 archers in this shoot and it will go several rounds. Usually it is completed by three or four. We have often been rushed to get the results turned in before any sort of afternoon/evening court is held.

In addition to these shoots which we have at every Warlord, we have also held special shoots sponsored by individuals. These typically happen AFTER everything else is done. We use the WHOLE weekend. We are often the first on site to set up our ranges and camps and then are the last to leave, breaking the ranges down and helping with general site clean up. We don't see a lot of other activities if we are marshals because we are on the range almost the entire weekend. Last year was the first time I have ever seen even a part of the Warlord Tournament or Steppes Champion. That was because I was part of the autocrat team and spent very little time working with archery. I enjoyed it immensley, but this year I will be back on the range. I urge you all to come out and join us. We will be glad to let you know what is happening and why, and answer any questions. If you stick around long enough and you want to give it a try, we will even put a bow in your hands and help you fling a few arrows downrange!

We are blessed to have a long weekend to hold our event on. I would encourage all of the martial groups to find a way to do fill the days as archery does. Most groups are restricted to a single day to try to squeeze things in and end up promoting some activities at the expense of others. There is absolutely no reason not to have clinics, workshops, pick up fights, classes....lots of things for rapier or heavy fighers to do on the day they aren't in their 'big' tournament. In service and gratitude to the archers, he Baroness, and the Populace of the Steppes, I remain humbly,

Lady Lyneya de Grey, KAA
Archery Marshal
Central Regional Missile Marshal
Well-behaved women Seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich> From: rudin at ev1.net> To: steppes at ansteorra.org> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:38:36 -0600> Subject: [Steppes] Vivat to the Steppes Archers!> > As we start preparing for Warlord, I was struck with something I hadn't > mentioned publicly before.> > The great thing about Steppes Warlord is its extravagant size, which lets > anybody do almost anything.> > In the last few years, the people who have taken the greatest advantage of > this is the Steppes archers. The barony offically has one competition, but > when it's over, the archers don't stop. They have many different > activities, all day long for two full days. They have made Steppes Warlord > the best event in the kingdom for archery with their enthusiasm and their > willingness to sponsor and run several different activities. As a member > of the Steppes, I am impressed with the initiative and enthusiasm they have > shown.> > For the Steppes archers, Vivat!> > Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin > > _______________________________________________> Steppes mailing list> Steppes at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/steppes-ansteorra.org