[Steppes] MONDAY the 26th -- Awards & Precedence -- How the SCA Works

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Jan 19 21:19:00 PST 2009

You're invited to Robin and Serena’s house at 7:00 p.m. MONDAY, 26 January
2009, for the next topic in our "How the SCA Works" discussion group:

 AWARDS & PRECEDENCE -- "They're more like guidelines...."

 Lots of people read the award constitutions on the Ansteorran website and
peerage descriptions in Corpora and think that they now know what the
awards are for.  This is an erroneous assumption.  There's a lot more to
the awards than what can be glibly written down, different kingdoms apply
the general guidelines in Corpora in different ways, and one of the most
important things to know is what awards are NOT for.

Next Monday, we will discuss various ways people are rewarded in the
Society -- both official awards and unoffical honors -- what they are for
and what they're NOT for, as well as discussing the history of the awards
and how to compose effective award recommendations.  It will be an open
discussion, with the intent of exploring what YOU would like to hear about
the reality of what awards and precedence are all about.

ABOUT THE SERIES "How the SCA Works":

The SCA is a co-operative game.  It works because we all work together and
play together.

This leads to an obvious question – how does it work, and what can you do
to become a more effective part of it?

Every month, Robin and Serena will take one aspect of the SCA and discuss
how it’s supposed to work, how it really does work, and how you can be part
of it.  Topics will include the social structure, the award system, the
officers, how events work, and other topics to be chosen based on the
suggestions of the attendees.

Allergy warning:  we have a cat.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin
Serena Lascelles / Diane Rudin

Use your favorite online mapping gizmo to locate us at:

7135 Vinland St.
Dallas, TX  75227-1829

214-663-2326 (Serena's cell)

Please note that the online mapping gizmos are not totally accurate -- they
ALL come up with a house halfway down the block from us.  Once you are on
Vinland Street, go by the numbers posted on the houses, not the online
"street view".  Look for the house in the middle of the block with a rose
garden including a small statue of St. Francis.

Please be careful when crossing the construction zone around our
neighborhood -- Samuell Road is torn up, and if you're not careful, your
car will be, too.  Also, please park in the direction of traffic, or you
might get a ticket.