[Steppes] Verse of Rose Rose

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 10:22:31 PDT 2009

There are two French ones that I know of, too.  I was working at the French school in Dallas and we had a music concert showcasing the talents of the students, parents, teachers and other employees, at the school.  6 of us employees/teachers did Rose, Rose in a round with the Hey, Ho verse and the two French verses.  Among the 6 of us ladies were 2 Americans, 1 South African (think "the Interpreter"), 2 French and 1 German.  It was so beautiful!

Here are the two verses, one of which is reminiscent of the verse given below in this email.

Vos yeux, beaux yeux
Depuis que je vous admire
Je ne suis pas plus heureuse
Vos yeux, beaux yeux.

(Trans: your eyes, beautiful eyes - since the time that I first admired you, I could be no happier - your eyes, beautiful eyes)

and the wind in the pines one:

Vent frais, vent du matin
Vent qui vient du sommet des grands pins
Joie du vent qui passe
Allons dans le grand vent.

(Trans: fresh wind, morning wind - wind that comes from the summit of the great pines - joyous be the wind that blows - let us go into the great wind)

(note to francophones -- if there is a final e in the line, it is pronounced instead of being silent, so "admire" would become [ad-meer-ruh], "heureuse" would become [uh-ruh-zuh] and "passe" would become [pa-suh].)

Voilà ma contribution!

HL Gabrielle Honorée de Saint Pierre

“It was a good clang, with the oiyoiyoioioioioioinnnnnggggggg that is the mark of a clang well done.” The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett. (also the exact sound of a face connecting with a Paris traffic light - ASK ME ABOUT THE PARIS STORY !!! ) :D