[Steppes] OT: looking for fabric

Karen Calhoun KMCalhou at garlandisd.net
Tue Nov 17 08:22:43 PST 2009

I have been asked to make a change in my classroom.  I currently have plastic curtains (clear plastic similar to stuff raincoats and shower curtains are made from) hanging in my room to separate the shop from the computers.  It cuts down on the dust and some of the noise.  The curtains are temporarily attached to the grid ceiling.

The Fire Marshal (God love him) has told us that all curtains must be made of a fire resistant/fire retardant material.  That includes mine.  Do you know of a material that fits my requirements?
1.  Fabric must be fire resistant/fire retardant or have the ability to receive a treatment to become so
2.  be see-through enough so that I can monitor the kids in the shop as well as the kids in the classroom/computers
3.  be cleanable (dry cleaning is OK)
4.  and is cost effective.  I will need about 15 yards of the stuff (at 50in wide).  approx 22' x 8'

I know that you love a challenge.  I'm certain that someone - out there in the ether - has worked with, knows of a vendor, or has a friend-of-a-friend that can help.  I have to think outside the box on this one.  My goal is to avoid building a wall.

Looking forward to your creative ideas.

Katya

Mrs. Karen Calhoun
Austin Academy
Career and Technology and
Computer Explorations

(972) 926-2620
kmcalhou at garlandisd.net

genius hits a target no one else can see."
Arthur Schopenhauer