[Steppes] Requirements to Run a Demo

shark shark75080 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 21 10:02:14 PDT 2009

Greetings,

Thank you for providing more information about fighting at demos. What Will said is still correct, however. Any fighters without blue cards at demos must sign waivers. What we didn't address is the Marshal's involvement. Thanks for providing that.

So please review the following information before setting up or requesting a demo:

If you want Steppes to support a demo that doesn't involve fighting of any kind only demonstrations of A&S and people there to help recruit, you
need to email the Seneschal, Hospitaler, and the Baroness. For these
kinds of demos, we would like to have at least 2-3 weeks notice to ensure we have the support necessary to fulfill the demo requirements. If we cannot get people to participate, we will not be able to support the demo.

If you want Steppes to support a demo thatincludes heavy or light fighting you must email the Seneschal, Hospitaler, Baroness, and the Knight and/or Rapier Marshals (depending on the type of fighting to be demonstrated). For this kind of demo, we need at least 30 days notice.
Marshals will run the fighting demonstration and ensure that all
society and kingdom laws are followed. Also, you must have a
marshal-in-charge for each type of fighting. For example, the Knight
Marshal cannot oversee a rapier fighting demo (and vice versa). Also,
fighters must be authorized in the type of fighting they intend to
demonstrate. Any fighters without blue cards must sign waivers which
will be provided to the Seneschal for submission to the Kingdom Waiver
Secretary. The current Baronial Marshals will either attend or appoint
a Marshal who will be responsible for the demo. If no Marshal is
available, no fighting will take place at the demo.

Emails for these officers can be found at: www.steppes.org

want to make it clear that I am not trying to discourage demos or
fighting at demos. I'm hoping that these guidelines provide the
following:

	* Ensure that the people who are responsible for Kingdom Law in the Barony are notified and aware of the demo taking place.
	* Ensure
we have enough people to support a demo and make it a success - which
should help with recruitment or education of a specific group, i.e. a
school or library.
	* Ensure that the Marshals have enough time to
prepare for a demo with fighting, find people to participate, and
ensure that all of the laws regarding fighting put forth by the
Society/Kingdom are followed. Since these rules are numerous and very
important, we want to make sure we have the time to organize this
properly and that the Marshalate is involved at all times.
	* Ensure that any required waivers are signed and delivered to the Kingdom Waiver Secretary in a timely fashion.
Thanks to Will and to Michael for helping me with this. I will post this to the Newsletter next month and create a PDF file to post to the Web. If you have
questions, please contact Will Meriic, our Hospitaler, or me. Also, if
you already know of any demos that you think we might want to conduct
in 2010, please send that information to the Hospitaler now, and we
will get a "demo calendar" created.

Best Regards,
Susanna, Steppes Seneschal