[Steppes] Costuming Show-and-Tell for Elementary Students

Seneschal of the Steppes seneschal at steppes.ansteorra.org
Fri Dec 3 06:45:30 PST 2010

Calling All Clothiers!

Our Barony has the opportunity to show its' incredible costuming talents to
eager, young minds.  I have been speaking with a contact from an elementary
in Richardson who would like us to bring samples and discuss period clothing
to two groups of 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders.  Please read her e-mail below and
let me know if you are interested.  I have the time available, but no
samples to bring.  *SO*, if you'd rather volunteer by writing up a short
presentation and allowing me to borrow your items, I would be happy to take
this on.  Contact me off list, if you're interested.
Thank you!
Katerina
seneschal at steppes.ansteorra.org

"We would have 2 sessions (1 for costuming and 1 for the theatre group) each
about 10-15 minutes long.  Or we could actually combine them, if need be.
Our clusters meet only on Friday afternoons at 1:45-2:45 p.m. and we only
have 2 sessions left in December: 12/10 and 12/17.
We are a test group for these classes, so we are just formulating curriculum
– basically these are classes that are supposed to be fun for our students,
and outside the usual academic subjects, but a learning experience,
nevertheless.  For costuming, my aim is to show the students that there are
many levels of costuming, from just an illusion to authentically constructed
and historically accurate (which is why I thought of your group.)  For the
theatre group, it is an introduction to theatre, again with a broad spectrum
of theatre type.  Basically, anyone who may wish to come in costume from
your group would be great.  They would just take a few minutes to show and
tell about their particular costume/character.  Most of our students have no
experience with live theatre."