[Steppes] {FIGHTERS} Helmet question

Randy Shipp randyshipp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 23:27:56 PDT 2010

Greetings all,

With the help of several generous folks, I am very close to having my weapon
and shield squared away.  I have placed an order for all the armor I need,
with the exception of kidney protection and a gambeson.  (I will want to
start consulting potential sewing tutors again soon to see if I can get that
project started!)  The one thing I have not acquired or lined up is a
helmet.

As a newbie -- even a returning one -- I don't want to spend a great deal on
a hat.  I had fully intended to buy this very, very reasonably priced
bascinet from Illusion Armoring --
http://p7.hostingprod.com/@illusionarmoring.com/bascinets.htm, the one at
the bottom, obviously -- which is basic, but I think attractive and, at $130
shipped, quite reasonable.  The problem is that orders placed today aren't
ready until January.  Ow.

Horsefriend Armory is doing the rest of my armor -- globose breastplate,
simple spaulders, splinted arms and legs, gorget, demi-gauntlet -- but I'm
not thrilled with the shape of his bascinet (
http://www.horsefriendarmory.com/Bascinet.html).  Maybe with a grill it
would look better, but it seems oddly bulbous in the rear and oddly
proportioned.  His sugarloaf, on the other hand, is pretty sharp, but it'd
be an antique by the time the rest of my kit was fashionable, plus it's
closed-faced.  But at $100, maybe it's the best interim solution?

Or does anyone know a source for a cheap, reasonably attractive bascinet
whose turnaround time will be a bit less?  Thanks in advance for any advice
or opinions.

Yours,

Antoine