[Steppes] OTish: Quill's Papiro

CJ gray.quill at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 01:21:04 PST 2011

Dear Friends,
First of all, yes, I'm still alive! And graduating soon! Which I would like
you to celebrate with me.
You may remember that my family moved to Italy about two years ago. In the
Veneto region where they now live there is a very interesting tradition
called the Papiro; this is where the friends of the college graduate get
together and write up the story of the student's life, recounting his
achievements and more contemporarily his escapades as well! The graduate is
then obligated to publicly read out and display his Papiro for the
entertainment of those celebrating with him, as part of his initiation into
the "real" world.
The best of these Papiro are written with clever rhymes and in very specific
language, and tend to include the more embarrassing (thus more
entertaining!) stories (and often graphical representations as well) as much
as the impressive ones; the idea is that by the end of the ordeal everyone
should be crying, either from nostalgia or from laughing too hard.

(This link may give you a good idea of what goes on and a bit of
background:
http://www.monicacesarato.com/blog/2010/11/03/best-memory-of-venice-memory-2-2/
)

Of course my Barony is entirely welcome to any aspect of the celebratory
proceedings (details to be announced later of course) but I'd specifically
like to invite, nay call on any of you who either think you have a good
story about me that you think should be shared, or are talented in wordcraft
or illustration, if you care to contribute to the Papiro itself. I'd really
like to see as many hands on this as possible. (Multi-linguistic
contributions get bonus points!) For the record, I will be graduating from
Southern Methodist University, with a Bachelor's degree in Anthropology, and
minors in Gender Studies and Human rights (in case that's relevant to
inspiring your contribution.)

This is an especially poignant affair, as the way things stand now, I will
most likely be leaving this kingdom for good before the end of the year. I'm
going to miss you all, but I'm taking Ansteorra with me in my heart!
Much love,
Quill

PS please send responses directly to me rather than to the list:
gray.quill at gmail.com