[Steppes] A Message to the Populace

Seneschal of the Steppes seneschal at steppes.ansteorra.org
Tue Mar 22 17:46:16 PDT 2011

Beloved Populace of the Steppes,

I've been reading and responding to many messages regarding the cancelled
All-Con Demo over the past couple of days and I have a few points that I
would like to clarify.

First, the way in which the Barony approaches demonstrations will be
revamped in the coming months.  I will sit down with the Baron, Baroness and
new Hospitaler to come up with a more productive approach to displaying our
talents and recruiting new members.  We all need to view demos as 'mini'
events... they require multiple levels of coordination, teamwork and
understanding of what liabilities we face when holding one.  Most
importantly, I need to impress upon everyone that impromptu demonstrations
and panel discussions that have not been approved by myself or Their
Excellencies are absolutely prohibited.  This is not negotiable.  The
efforts made at All-Con this past weekend are appreciated.  I am grateful
for members who see a need and take steps to benefit the Barony.  However,
as your Seneschal, I personally am legally responsible for the events that
we hold.  Following the guidelines that have been established for demos not
only protects my interests, but will help ensure that we don't risk losing
our Baronial status.  Requesting to know in advance when a group of our
members wishes to represent our Barony is not just professional courtesy, it
is an imperative.  That being said, I will do everything in my power to
accomodate requests for demos as they come up.

I would also like to propose a challenge; to those who have been unsatisfied
with the manner in which this demo was handled, you now have the opportunity
to shape the Barony of the Steppes.  I am creating a Demo Committee of at
least three members, who will do some research into what strategies are
working for other groups, what kinds of displays bring in new members, what
venues work best... the list goes on.  Even a small amount of volunteer work
on this endeavor will benefit our group and you will have the satisfaction
of knowing that you contributed something positive to the Steppes.

Thank you for your cooperation as I strive to make our Barony a more
enjoyable place to live the dream.
YIS,
Lady Katerina O'Cyry
Seneschal of the Steppes