[Steppes] A Message to the Populace

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 12:26:26 PDT 2011

*"...since we have done All-Con for the past several years & know a year in
advance the exact date there should have been plenty of time to organize..."
*

Perhaps the first thing that we should do, then, is begin to plan this demo
more than just a couple of months in advance. This demo, unlike many others,
cannot be handled with a "we're having a demo at _______ time and place,
show up and bring stuff" approach, it may be best to treat it like an event
(as the Seneschal said) and begin planning for it 4-6 months in advance.

If you don't like the way that the demo was run, then step up to the plate
to run it. I took the responsibility because no-one else had done so. If you
don't want last minute effort, don't wait until the last minute hoping that
someone else will stand up.

It has come to my attention that some thought that my "harried college
student" comment was referring to Quill; and I was actually referring to
myself. I was out-of-state the week before Gulf Wars auditioning to get into
a conservatory. My time before that was split: trying to get ahead in
classes and work so that I could be gone for a week, preparing for the
audition itself, and trying to coordinate the demo.

I would also like to point out that while we have done the All-Con demo for
several years, the collected knowledge of the past demo coordinators (or
even who the previous coordinators were) does not get passed on to the new
coordinator. Perhaps another thing we should start doing for things like
this is to get and retain detailed after-action reports for each year we do
a demo/event and then passing them to the next autocrat/coordinator. One of
the problems that I experienced was not being aware of what specific
information the people at All-Con needed from us, or not knowing what
information I needed to ask volunteers.

One of the things that might benefit the Barony is the creation of a
"volunteer information sheet" which can be sent out for an event or demo
which volunteers can fill out and send back, which will give the person
doing the demo/event a clear and concise reference of the resources at his
disposal. It is hard to put things together quickly when information comes
at you in a disparate trickle and you have to send multiple emails to get
all of the information you need from one person.

... and again, this demo needs more prep time than just a couple of months
(especially if the person coordinating it has a life outside of planning the
demo). As a point of reference, the coordinator from last year logged 100
hours of planning and labour into just preparing for the demo, and sunk more
money into the venture than I make in a month. This effort last year netted
us 60 newcomers, and (as far as we know) not a single one of them is still
in the SCA. In light of that and the late start we got this year; the
seneschal and their Excellencies (not me) decided to call off the demo.

--Alessandro Zorzi