[Steppes] Seeking permission for A&S project

R. Culver captbigdamnhero at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 14:59:30 PDT 2012

Wihtric Wihtmunding friendly greets his lord Duncan baron, and his lady
Genevieve baroness, and the folk of the Steppes.

I am writing to ask for permission and help from current and former members
of the royal family as well as landed and court baronies to use your names
for an A&S project I am hoping to have by Artisan.  It involves examples of
Anglo-Saxon writs and charters used in a Society context, as model for
possibly new charters.  Largely the focus is on wording.

I would need your name and title and just a statement of approval to use
name.  Latinate names will likely be used to show Latin models whereas
Germanic and others will, when possible rendered into Anglo-Saxon forms or
known Latin forms as will titles as best as my research allows. Modern
English versions will be used for full works, but I do want to show period
forms in more detail, though names may still be rendered into Anglo-Saxon
forms with Modern orthography where I can, example Genevieve's Old English
cognate is Cynewif, though the name is not attested.

A small example of how it would work, using His Majesty's as an example:

Ego Hrafnus* rex Ansteorriorum/Asteorriæ...
Ic Hræfn/Hrefn cyning Ansteorrawerena/Ansteorralandes...
I Hrafn king of the Ansteorran people/Ansteorra...

The names would be part of the witness lists in the charter form.  I just
don't want to assume I can use someone as an example.

Gódspede!
Wihtric hlafard

*based on a Latin version of Egils saga Skallagrimssonar; given that an
earlier runic inscription has the long form Harabanar on the Järsberg Stone
fromthe early 6th century, amother variant might be Rabanus/Rabenus.