[Steppes] Art supplies for calligraphy and illumination

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Fri Mar 23 07:38:08 PDT 2012

I am hoping to go to Asel Art Supply some time late next week to get some
supplies for beginning calligraphy and illumination, having checked my local
Hobby Lobby and found not much available.  If anyone can send
a note to the list refreshing me on what sort of things we need (types of ink,
nibs, pens,  paper, colors of Winsor-Newton gouache, recommendations
on brushes, etc.) I would appreciate
it.  I seem to have misplaced this information and others might benefit
from it as well..

The girls and I took some classes at Gulf Wars and I have ordered
some books from Half Price that were recommended on calligraphy,
but my supplies are not adequate (i.e.
old ink and Shaffer calligraphy nibs but can't find the pen, and as to
illumination, can't find the paints at all and have brushes
that look way too big and fuzzy, etc.)  I probably donated the paints
to MOC but they were not the good ones anyway.

I do note that in the stores this weekend, Half Price Books has a 20% off coupon for
the next two days on one item and a 50% off coupon on Sunday
for one item--unfortunately they didn't have any of the books
I wanted at the Lewisville branch, although I still found some things
that were useful, of course.  But I'm sure that others of you out there could
use some more books, since no one in the SCA ever has enough!!

The Lewisville branch of Half Price Books does continue to have
some good art history/survey books on calligraphy and illumination in
the Art section, if you want something basic so that you can compare
different styles.
Christianna inghean Fearghus