[Steppes] OFF TOPIC: Donorschoose.org project

Dana Busenbark danab-steppes at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 18:11:26 PDT 2014

This is in no way, shape or form, connected to the SCA. I am not asking for SCA funds but I am asking for help in making a project become complete.

I am a teacher, and I have a donorschoose.org project open to buy kindles for my classroom. I teach 3rd grade Special Education on the Navajo Reservation in Arizona now. I have someone that has said they would pay 500.00 of the last 1042.00 that I need to raise to get the kindles for my students to use. That's 25.00 amongst 22 people to raise what I need. It is tax deductible and will be used in my classroom. I have 3rd graders right now that can't even recognize the letters of the alphabet. They start stressing and crying because they can't read the tests they are being required to do.

I am trying to get donations for a project I have created purchasing 20 kindles for my classroom. I am in a very high poverty area here on the Navajo Reservation in NE Arizona. I have students who live in an area with no electricity and no running water. They love working on the computers in my classroom, but I have 24 students currently, and will have 3 more before the middle of May. My classroom is a former custodial closet. I have 14 students that I service at one time with two student computers in my classroom. With the kindles, I can give more students access to reading books that are within their reading levels, or applications for phonics.

Please check out my project at: http://www.donorschoose.org/project/move-on-with-reading-using-kindles-in-cl/1167922/?rf=email_siteshare_2014_04_teacherid_1959374&challengeid=312409

Dana

Fiona the Needleworker
a.k.a. Fionnbharr le Nedlere